cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Support Policy

Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I recently attempted to upgrade BO client tools from BI4.0 to BI4.1 on two workstations, one running Windows XP and another Windows 7 (no SP).  On both machines, I was unable to do so, as the installer would not let me continue past its failed prerequisites check.

This concerns me.  It's one thing for us to make a conscious decision to run software in an unsupported configuration, knowing that we may not get support from SAP if we run into a problem.  But it's another thing to be prevented from doing so.  Especially considering that Win XP is still in extended support.

As with most medium to large businesses, our BI team has little say in the version of OS that is installed on our workstations and servers.  I'm concerned that we might find ourselves in a situation in which we are unable to install a necessary BO patch or upgrade, because we are not on the latest OS.

So, my question is, what is SAP's policy with regard to OS support?  Why is SAP not supporting an OS that is still in extended support, and still used on  a third of all desktops? (according to http://www.netmarketshare.com/)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What exactly failed on the pre-req check ?

SAP support policy is in the Supported Platforms guide.

OS's are supported while majority of customers use them.

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

On page 78 of "Business Intelligence Platform Installation Guide for Windows SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.1 Support Package 1,"

7.3 Client Tools installation prerequisites

Installing BI Platform Client Tools

Before installing or making changes to a Client Tools installation, ensure that:

• Any existing BI Suite client tools and products are closed before running the installation program. If any client tool fails to start after the installation, running the installation program in repair mode should correct the issue.

• All BI platform servers on the machine are stopped except the CMS and File Repository Servers (FRS).

• The account being used has Administrator privileges. The installation requires that the account being used is a member of the Windows Administrators group, and that the default privileges assigned to the Administrators group have not been modified.

• You are using a minimum screen resolution of 1024 × 768 pixels. Using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to run the installation program is supported, as long as a minimum screen resolution of 1024 × 768 pixels is used.

Can you check if the screen resolution of 1024 × 768 pixels is in use?

Also, according to the "SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.1 PAM Desktop Clients and Operating Systems", only Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 are listed, though.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The message is "This product needs to be installed on a Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 Operating System (OS) or higher. Please verify that your OS matches this requirement."

I found the BI4.1 Supported Platforms document here, which lists the supported OSs.  Where is the policy stated?

Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, my resolution is 1024x768.

I wasn't questioning what platforms are supported.  I was questioning why SAP is preventing me from installing the client tools on a OS that is still supported by MS.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Policy is stated in the document you located. For BI4.1 client tools only Win7 and Win8 are supported.

SAP is preventing you from installing their newest software on winXP because SAP product management decided this based on criterias which are not made public.

If I have to guess it was based on cost/benefits analysis.

Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

...which is exactly what concerns me.  We have had to put our BI4.1 testing on hold because our workstations have not yet been updated from XP.  What if SAP decides next year that they don't want to support Win7?

I am asking for a policy, not a platform list.  As in "Desktop OSs are supported through the course of the OS vendor's extended support period". 

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the best way to get this answered is for you to talk to your SAP Account manager. I haven't seen any SAP product management people reading this forums.

zhang_jiwen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

We face the same issue.

We have asked our sap support,and they said the supported windows server or workstation for BI system is current two version that microsoft company support.For example,the current windows workstation is windows 7 and 8,so the windows xp is not supported now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A PAM is provided to understand that the product has been tested largely on the few specific OS versions and has given satisfactory results.

The behavior of the product would not have provided satisfactory results and hence not supported in lower OS versions..