cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organizing dimensions for organisational units

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I discovered that in one development project, one star schema with its dimensions has a dimension "organisational units".

In this dimension are all units put together and those units are also in the InfoCube.

That means in one dimension is available:

Company code

Credit control area

Customer number

Profit Center

Business unit

Business segment

Sales organisation

Sales division

Distribution channel

Does this make sense?

I mean will the system allow to make correct selections/drill downs etc. with those adjustments?

As the development is still in progess I would make a suggestion to partition the dimension "organisational units" into following dimensions:

Company code

Credit control area

Company code

Customer

Customer number

Profit Center

Profit center

Business segment

Business unit

Sales organisation

Sales organisation

Distribution channel

Sales division

I think this would make more sense ...

Correct?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The mentioned dimensions are OK.

Mark Customer dimension as Line Item Dimension

Please keep in mind, that large no. of dimensions can degrade the Cube performance.

Note:

Other than Customer Dimension, you can actually club the other three mentioned dimensions. It all depends on your other type of dimensions in the cube. If you end up with more, then issues may come up.

Regards,

Suman

Edited by: Suman Chakravarthy on Dec 5, 2011 9:48 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Isn't it a problem when different units, for example organisational units are put together in one dimension?

When merging (I think you mean that with club) the other three dimensions to one dimension, wouldn't there be a problem with the correct determination of granularity (for example Profit Center)?

regards

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hope you are aware of Entity concept in BW. You have to create different dimensions for each entity type eg: Customer, Org Unit, Employee, Sales Representative etc.,,,,You have to put the related chars in each dimension.

You have to take decision.

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I am really new to BW and my subject is more at report level i.e. creating queries.

Currently I am learning more about modeling and so on to get a better technical understanding.

For my understanding and respective to the four dimensions above (when they are separated) and for example key figure turn over is available.

With this scenario it would be possible to analyze the turn over in relation to for example:

customer, business unit and sales division.

But what is the difference when the dimension customer is separated and the other three are clubbed together?

Isn't the same mentioned analysis possible?

It should be possible to achieve the same result I think because only the granularity of the clubbed dimensions would be more granular and the dimension would be bigger.

Does my understanding make sense?

Thanks in advance!