cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9i EXTPROC and SAP R3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently running Oracle 9i underneath SAP R3 46C.

We have a setting in the listener.ora to allow protocol IPC to be used by <SID> and <SID>.WORLD.

We also have then 1 line in listener.ora to allow protocol TCP to be used by SAP.COMMUNITY.

None of these settings seem to allow EXTPROC, is this correct?

However, then in tnsnames.ora we have a section dedicated to EXTPROC communication.

As far as I'm aware, and Im not a DBA , this doesnt match.

I guess my main question is; Does SAP need EXTPROC?

And then do we need the EXTPROC settings in TNSNAMES.ORA if it does not appear in LISTENER.ORA?

Any help would be appreciated as finding anything on SAP using EXTPROC has proven null.

Thanks,

Ashley

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The information provided did not solve the issue but confirmed some points to help focus the resolution.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> The information provided did not solve the issue but confirmed some points to help focus the resolution.

Sorry Ashley, but you asked whether SAP application make use of the EXTPROC connection and you got a clear, correct and precise answer.

The don't use it.

If this was insufficient I propose to refine the question.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars, after a review I agree my question was ambiguous and long-winded, mainly due to lack of understanding, hence the question.

Based on my main question comment you did answer this correctly and I will therefore mark accordingly.

Regards,

Ashley

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are currently running Oracle 9i underneath SAP R3 46C.

You're using terribly outdated software!

There's no support for 9i anymore!

> We have a setting in the listener.ora to allow protocol IPC to be used by <SID> and <SID>.WORLD.

>

> We also have then 1 line in listener.ora to allow protocol TCP to be used by SAP.COMMUNITY.

>

> None of these settings seem to allow EXTPROC, is this correct?

>

> However, then in tnsnames.ora we have a section dedicated to EXTPROC communication.

>

> As far as I'm aware, and Im not a DBA , this doesnt match.

Well, it does not need to match either.

On another client host, the appropriate entries could be present.

> I guess my main question is; Does SAP need EXTPROC?

No. it doesn't. Never. Not even by chance.

The Extproc connection is used for something completely different than what SAP does with the database.

> And then do we need the EXTPROC settings in TNSNAMES.ORA if it does not appear in LISTENER.ORA?

Nope.

> Any help would be appreciated as finding anything on SAP using EXTPROC has proven null.

What is that supposed to mean? How can anything proove NULL?

cheers,

Lars