cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating a multi-tenant solution on BTP CF - 1 GB Runtime = 10 Routes

former_member194549
Contributor

Dear SAP,

We, as a Gold Partner, run a small portion of our business value on SAP BTP and its Cloud Foundry runtime. We provide SaaS solutions to our customers. These solutions are developed in a microservice fashion and use the multi-tenancy approach. For now, we are running our services on 4GB runtime and are totally fine for now. Besides the huge conceptional failure on the BTP about connecting runtime to available routes.

Let's do a short recap:
For each GB of runtime, 10 routes will be added. While onboarding a new tenant alias customer, we have to add a new route onto each of the SaaS solutinos. These are the core concepts of BTP Cloud Foundry.

Right now, we are blocked in onboard new customers, because we exceed the technical limitations of routes available in our account. We already reached out to the SAP support (see Ticket) to increase the available routes above 40 routes. The only response we got was to add more runtime resources and increase our daily operating costs. This response is not suitable and not satisfying for our needs. The second response (use custom domains) of SAP Support works neither. Our account is billed in the subscription model, the BTP Service Custom Domains is not available in the subscription model according to Discovery center.

Quote from SAP help:
SAP BTP provides a multitenant functionality that allows application providers to own, deploy, and operate tenant-aware applications for multiple consumers, with reduced costs.

Your response from support, the current technical underlying restrictions about routes and the cited quote does not fit together. In the current state, you are telling us the following statements:

• We should not follow a microservice approach on BTP to save routes quota.
  • Multi-Tenant services on BTP will not run budget-friendly.
  • Technical limitations can only be solved by paying more unneeded resources.

We escalated this scenario inhouse and don't have arguments to go along with these concepts. On top of this, we are blocked in our deployment and sales approach to generate revenue. This is a highly important topic to us, how many facets of regulations we have to face on BTP.

Regards
Simon

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

This is certainly a valid example of the type of friction which risks the widespread adoption of BTP for SaaS solutions. I have updated my blog Is SAP Business Technology Platform Ready for Developing Industry Cloud SaaS Applications? with a reference to your feedback.

To your point about custom domains, assuming they were available for the subscription model, how would that solve the limitation of available routes?

Regards,

Mustafa.

gregorw
Active Contributor

As far as I understand the post from denys.kempen at Getting Started with Multitenant Business Applications on SAP BTP | Hands-on Video Tutorials you can configure a “wildcard” host mapping when you use a custom domain. So no routes are needed. Hope Denys can confirm that.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor

Dear sperstorfer ,

I am terribly sorry but I need to correct my statement below. The team and I mis-read the information you provided and didn't check our internal systems correctly. As you wrote correctly above, your Global Account is based on the subscription-based model where increasing the routes is only possible by licensing more GB memory of the SAP BTP, Cloud Foundry runtime.

The reason for this is that there is a hard dependency between the amount of entitled GB Memory for CF runtime and the number of routes. Increasing the entitlements in the subscription-based model is only possible by licensing more. In the consumption-based models (PayG or CPEA), it is possible to entitle more to a subaccount without consuming, i.e. without paying for it.

The only way out in the future for your case is by combining the subscription-based model with the consumption-based model in a "hybrid" Global Account. This is currently already possible for customer accounts and the test-phase for partner Global Accounts has started too. I can't commit to a timeline, but it is on the roadmap.

Again, I am very sorry to have misguided you in the first place. I won't delete my below text though as it is still true for consumption-based accounts (and it would look strange for the community discussion).

Best regards, Marco

Dear sperstorfer,

Thank you for making us aware about your case. We analysed your support ticket again in the product team and would like to ask you to re-open your support case (or create a new one if re-opening isn't working) so that we can take care of it. There was a mis-handling of the case and we are in touch with the respective teams so that it won't happen again.

Please use the component BC-NEO-CIS for the ticket as it is stated on this page of the SAP Help Portal in the second last bullet point.

Please excuse this extra effort on your side.

Kind regards,
Marco Dorn
SAP BTP Runtimes & Core

former_member194549
Contributor

Hi marco.dorn,

thank you very much for your answer and the solution. I think that everyone is helped in this way.
Maybe a SAP Note would be helpful, so that this procedure is "officially" documented?

Thanks a lot
Simon

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

do you know if in the Free Tier the route quota is handled differently. I can only see 10 routes available from the Org:

which is not matching the 1 GB = 10 Routes roule.

CU
Gregor

Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello gregorw,

Yes, the free tier limits are lower than for the commercial service plans.

Best regards,
Marco

Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor

Hello sperstorfer, hello gregorw,

I had to update my initial answer as it was not correct. I am sorry for posting this in the first place, but it's important to me to set things straight. I won't delete my initial text as this would be wrong in the community discussion.

Best regards,
Marco

jreimann
Participant

Hi marco.dorn,
is there already an update for the timeline or the roadmap for the "hybrid Global Account" topic?

Thank you & kind regards,
Johannes

Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello reimannj,

Please excuse the delay in my response as I have been on vacation. I asked around on this topic, but there is no update to any timeline yet.

Best regards,
Marco

navya_shree2
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Macro,
navya_shree2
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Macro,
navya_shree2
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Macro, We are having similar situation where we have SaaS Solution deployed which need around 150 Routes to be created for all our 25 clients. Could you please give me more information about using hybrid model for partner´s account?
0 Kudos

Dear Simon,

I suppose you are using an account ordered for Partner Edge Build. Custom Domains are available for Partner Edge Build. Please check the pricelist and order. Discovery Center does not show Partner Edge Build subscription.

Regards,

Dinu