cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One more web service question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In previous posts, I mentioned that I was able to get a PB ASP.NET web service working, but I'm having difficulty with one component.

I'm trying to have the service write to local disk, but I can't seem to get it to work -- SaveAs is failing. I've tried to save to a couple of different directories on my C drive (web site is on localhost), and I've tried a lot of permissions setting on the folders. I've given full access to IIS_IUSERS, NETWORK SERVICE, PBDotnet4AppPool, even "Everyone" but none helped. I tried  a C:\Windows\TEMP folder, and I've tried folders under the service's install folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\webservice\webservice\webservice_root\".

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve;

If you are talking about PB Classic .... Then:

Yes, you can not read or write to any areas outside the WebService's location. The issue is with the rights that the IIS_User has is very limited.

Your options are:

1) use MS-Windows PowerShell to read / write files in or out of the WS's work area.

2) run in a more privileged Application Pool.

3) get IIS_User registered against the folders it needs.

My Web Servuce Foundation Class framework uses approach #1 above. The framework can tell you where your WS work area is and also utilize the PowerShell to make file movement possible.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Thanks again for your help and for pointing me in the right direction. Pretty awesome foundation class by the way.

After several frustrating hours messing with application pools and folder security setting, I finally figured out that to write a file to the "__webservcce__\c\" folder, you need to specify "C:\" in your PB script. I wish I could have figured that out, or read it somewhere sooner, but at least I got it to work.

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

misspelling -  meant "__webservice__\c\" folder

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve;

Excellent news and I'm glad that you liked the web service framework. I just updated both the Integrated and Web Service frameworks at the end of April - just in time for the 2015 PB Conference.

Good luck with your PB project!