cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE Objects in Crystal Version XI Release 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!  I'm trying to reference Word documents and Images which are stored on the server in separate files.  Crystal is reporting on a database which contains string fields that contain the path to these documents - they vary for different records.  I thought I'd be able to use the OLE Object feature, but when I try to "insert" an OLE Object, Crystal asks for the filename before I can get any further.  If I choose one of the files to reference, and then Format the OLE Object, go the "Picture" tab, and for "Graphic Location" enter a formula for the path to the file that's wanted based on the string field name, Crystal ignores the formula and always shows the document I chose in originally creating the OLE Object.  Note that I don't need the OLE Object to be dynamic - I just need to reference a variety of values.  How can I do that?  Thanks.  Mountaine Jonas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash.  This is very helpful to know, and I will join you in requesting this support for a future release of Crystal.  A related issue is:  For graphic objects referenced as OLE Objects in Crystal, using the "graphic location" to provide a string which references a disk file, the sizing options don't seem to work properly, and neither does adjusting the size with the "size and position" option used for all kinds of objects.  Any insight into that?  Thanks again...

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mountaine,

Well, CR has never been great with handling images, let alone re-sizing to a higher or lower resolution.

This can go down as one of the 'incapabilities" than anything else.

-Abhilash

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mountaine,

Crystal Reports' "Insert OLE Object" does NOT support inserting .pdf, .doc, .rtf or .xls files using the "Graphic Location" formula.

The Graphic Location formula can only be used to point the OLE Object to images.

For Word Documents, you would need to insert each of them in separate sections and use a conditional suppression formula to show the right one depending on the string in the database.

I've answered quite a few posts on the same subject and each time I would ask the users to post this as an Enhancement at the Ideas Place - https://ideas.sap.com.

More votes puts more pressure on the Product Manager to include this feature in a future release.

- Abhilash

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces