Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBN (Object based navigation) opens content in new window/tab

pietrom_
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the behaviour of OBN (Object based navigation) in my Enterprise Portal.

This is the scenario:

I have a WDA (ABAP Web Dynpro) from which I call the OBN to open a page. What I want is that this page is being opened in the same portal content area, i.e. NOT in a new window. Unfortunately, the page is opened in a new tab.

I've checked the Business Object definition and it should be OK since the destination is evaluated correctly.

The page I'm navigating to and the IView that it contains both have the property "Launch in New Window" set at "Display in Portal Content Area".

We've upgraded from NW 7.01 to NW 7.40 and now the system is behaving like this.

What can I do to open the page in the same portal content area?

Thank you,

Pietro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

troy_cronin2
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro

I hope you are keeping well and many thanks for using the SAP Discussion Forums Now based upon the scenario that you have described you mentioned the following: issue with  OBN in the Portal. You have a WDA from which you call the OBN to open a page. You want this page is being opened in the same portal content area, i.e. NOT in a new window. Unfortunately, the page is opened in a new tab.

Ok just a few quick reference points surrounding the behavior out lined above.

• After you made the change to the Property (or confirmed the setting to display in the content area) did you attempt to clear the Browser & Portal Navigation Cache before retesting the behavior?
  • Is this behavior occurring in all Web Browser Platform types?

Now similar instances to this behavior have been reported previously:

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3212908

In my experience I've seen such behavior differ amongst application types which has brought about a wide set of resolution documentation such as that of SAP KBA: 1562315 - iView Open in New Window.

- Please note I will reply to this thread as time permits due to processing obligations, but rest assured I will respond.

Kindly update me as per your findings.

Kind Regards

Troy Cronin - Enterprise Portal Support Engineer

Follow Troy Cronin

pietrom_
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Troy,

thank you for your reply.

• After you made the change to the Property (or confirmed the setting to display in the content area) did you attempt to clear the Browser & Portal Navigation Cache before retesting the behavior?
  • Is this behavior occurring in all Web Browser Platform types?

I've tried emptying the cache of my browser and also the Portal Navigation cache, but the page is still opened in a new tab. I've also tried with two different browsers (IE and Chrome).

In the backend this method is being called to do OBN:

CALL METHOD lr_port_manager->navigate_to_object

EXPORTING

system                 = lv_systemid

object_type            = lv_object_type

operation              = lv_activity

business_parameters    = lt_business_parameters

resolving_mode         = 'USER_SET_OF_ROLES'.

with lr_port_manager TYPE REF TO if_wd_portal_integration, but I cannot see any parameter to set to force the navigation to be "in place" instead of "open a new window" (like, for example, the method NAVIGATE_ABSOLUTE has).

Do you know what determines if the OBN navigation occurs "in place" or in a "new window"?

Thank you,

Pietro

pietrom_
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

are you able to kindly give me a feedback on my last post?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Pietro

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

troy_cronin2
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro

I hope you are keeping well and apologies for the short delay in response as this month I am attending workshops.

Recapping on the scenario and you're analysis highlights I can see you mentioned clearing the Navigation + Browser Cache and also tested in two different Browser Platforms.

Surrounding your query on OBN and the value setting "in place" / "new window" let us break this down together.

Regarding the WD ABAP Setup itself there are various settings which determine how in fact the OBN call is interpreted and then subsequently opened. The most common means is through the property editor which entails making the setting change to "launch in new window" to "launch in separate window". Alternatively as we know such a selection would be predefined via the Page title bar "options". Now as we discussed these settings deal with new windows and you want to achieve the setup within the Portal Content Area. On occasions the EPCM.doNavigate is hardcoded for OBN triggers thus returned the new window behaviour.

Just a further point to check here regarding the OBN could you kindly clear the "SHORT URL CACHE" through the path:

System Administration -> System Configuration -> Runtime Settings -> Short URL's -> Click Synchronize Button.

- Again apologies for the short delay please note that upon finishing the workshops I will review this thread promptly.

Kindly update me as per your findings.

Kind Regards

Troy Cronin - Enterprise Portal Support Engineer.