cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI and Portal Applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i try to use the NWDI for Portal development. But think im missing something, because

1. My SDM.log tells me:

Info:Starting Step SDM-deploy at 2006-06-29 10:49:23.0437 +2:00

Info:Deployment is performed asynchronously.

Info:Following DCs are marked for deployment (buildspace = BRG_BRTest_C):

Info:BuildRequestId: 48

Info:==> no resulting DCs for deployment

Info:Follow-up requests: 49

Info:

Info:

Info:DCs resulting from follow-up requests are not listed !

Info:Step SDM-deploy ended with result 'not needed' at 2006-06-29 10:49:23.0437 +2:00

And i cannot find any .sda file in the SDM nor a PAR in my Portal.

2. For both Standalone and Module i cannot find any "deploy" option in my NWDS for local deployment DEV System, except the Export -> PAR functionality, which will not

I`m just using a simple abstract portal component with a "Hello World" output for testing. The whole NWDI + EP + WebAS and NWDS is running on SPS14.

Any ideas on this?

Best regards

Oliver

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

thanks for your answers. The links from Suresh point Portal Application development without NWDI. If i deploy my PAR manually it`s working well.

But if i use the Transport Studio the Studio tells me everything is fine, but nothing is deployed at all.

I have configured 2 Systems in the runtime of my test track, DEV and CONS.

I checked my code into DTR, built it (Built runs, but gives a warning (Warning: No 'default' JDK_HOME_PATH defined, will use running VM. Please update your configuration.)

Activate Activity.

Release Activity.

In CMS i see now the SC in CONS System waiting for import.

I select the SC and choose import. Import finishes.

I check details, SDM log, wich tells me "... Info:Step SDM-deploy ended with result 'not needed' at 2006-06-29 10:49:23.0437 +2:00"

I check the PAR`s inside the portal -> nothing.

I check the SDM repository -> nothing.

I have configured 5 SAP Enterprise Portals in my preferences, including the DEV and the CONS System.

I have configured the SAP J2EE Engine installed local.

I really cannot find any "deploy" option in my Development Configuration perspective.

I have made both DC`s Module and Standalone, both show the same behaviour.

In the View "Active DCs" i have the option "Central deploment log" for each active DC, but both report "No deployment information availible for <dc-name>.

Im still not sure, if i setup my NWDI correctly.

regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all: Deploying from the NWDS is not related to your NWDI setup.

"I really cannot find any "deploy" option in my Development Configuration perspective."

Once you have created a project for a DC, that DC will appear in your Local DCs view. In this view you can rightclick the DC and Build and Deploy it. This will deploy to the system defined as SAP J2EE Engine under Window -> Preferences.

Concerning the fact that your DCs do not get deployed when you use NWDI: Please check if there's something in the buildqueues of the TCS Deployer and Trigger autodeployment if this is the case: http://<host>:<port>/TCS/Deployer (this is case sensitive!).

Sometimes the communication between CBS and the TCS Deployer fails. Are restart of the CBS service (using Visual Administrator) often fixes this problem.

It can also be that you have selected the "Disable automatic deployment" checkbox for the Development and/or Consolidation Runtime Systems in your track definition. In that case you must trigger these deployments manually with the TCS Deployer.

Kind regards,

Pascal Willemsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

yes i have the DC in my local DCs view. When i right klick the DC i only get "build...". And i made a mistake about the versions, my local NWDS is still on SPS11, but i will upgrade in the next few hours.

I checked the TCS Deployer and found out, that all buildrequestids where in queue, even manually triggering autodeployment do not change the status.

Maybe this is depending to the build warning i mentioned above, extract of the log item viewer:

"...

The Build finished successfully with warnings.

Warning: No 'default' JDK_HOME_PATH defined, will use running VM. Please update your configuration.

createDeployable:

build:

Ant build finished OK

Ant build finished at 2006-06-29 16:17:22 GMT+01:00 (CET), Duration: 0.361 seconds

Build finished with WARNING

Cleaning up."

The create deployable is empty, so first i will find pout what causes this error, because i have defined a JDK for the CBS in Visual Admin.

Maybe you have further information about that?

regards and thanks for your help

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

What DC type are you trying to build? Not all DC types have deployable results: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d7/fc139ba1549047a5372ad3c0d540ea/frameset.htm

There's a separate logfiles for the TCS Deployer, have a look at that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

thanks for help, unforntunatly i was so certain, that i had a Standalone Portal DC, that i never checked that again, but that was a mistake.

After creating an additional "Standalone" Portal DC everything worked well, local deployment, transport, etc.

Thanks again, maybe i can return the favor once.

regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

the hint is the 'default'. You can add a default JDK home to the JDK_HOME_PATHS property of CBS in Visual Admin:

JDK1.3.1_HOME=C:\jdk1.3.1_15; ... ;default=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08

(Order is irrelevant)

Then every build space where no key is explicitly defined in the build-options section of the development configuration will use the 'default' JDK for the Java compiler. If that JDK differs from the BUILD_TOOL_VM the <javac>-Task will automatically fork, i.e. the Java compiler will be executed in a separate process. The official documentation is not really clear on this...

But: the JDK used for compilation has nothing to do with creating deploy archives. If the created archive is empty the question is: What kind of deploy archive is this? (Enterprise application, J2EE Library, WebDynpro, ...). Depending on the DC type you need to assemble public parts from other DCs or provide source code.

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

i have changed this, but still get the same warning. CBS has been restarted immediatly. Do i have to reimport the Development Configuration?

The deploy problem is already solved. Was my mistake of using the wrong DC type.

regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Oliver,

if you set it on CBS then the warning should disappear on CBS the next time the component is rebuilt. Setting the service property on CBS has no effect on local builds in your IDE, though. (That's what you mean with reimporting the development configuration, right?).

In the IDE you can set a system property using -Ddefault=C:\<myjdkpath> in the vm.parameters file to get rid of the warning. I am not aware of a better solution for a 6.40 or 7.00 IDE.

Best regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

perfect, after adding the parameter the warning has gone.

regards Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Define JAVA_HOME in the Environment Variables of Windows?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

thanks for your reply. Everything works fine now.

regards Oliver

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver,

The Standalone DC type results in an SDA containing a PAR. Have you defined your Enterprise Portal servers in Window -> Preferences of your NWDS? Once you've done this, you should be able to deploy and test your portal applications from the NWDS.

Kind regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also define your Local Dev server as your J2EE Engine (in Window -> Preferences) and deploy your DCs to that from the Development Configurations perspective.

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh, you gave nw2004s help documentation links, while he's on nw2004 SP14...