cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW-BPM Synchronous Activity - Exception handling

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the exception handling in case of synchronous activity. The activity is an interface to a non-SAP system and returns back a response/fault message.

Now in case if the processing is success, it works fine. However in case it is not, there is an error in processing or the execution was not successful in legacy system the BPM Process errors out but the incoming response message is successful or in delivered status.

What I found in the log is "Fault processing: No exception class found for faultName "

I was wondering if you can suggest me what should be done here in SAP NW BPM Process to handle this kind of behavior. Do I change anything in SAP-PI side?

Thanks in advance,

Arnab

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

peter_gottinger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

if I summarize correct, the called system returns an error that is not modelled as a Fault in the WSDL the automatic activity is calling. Is this right?

If this is the case, the BPM system works as designed. Currently errors, that are not modelled in the WSDL as Fault can not be handled in the process and the process goes into error state.

Best regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

The SI built in PI has the fault message with standard structure and addition. The called system returns a fault message which maps into this fault structure.

When I developed the BPM, I imported the SI which is basically your WSDL.

Besides the request and response, this fault message is added as the boundary event message in the automated activity. and mapped to continue flow as per the pointer from the boundary event. What happens in execution time is that the incoming fault message shows as delivered but with a log of "No exception class found ".

Now for the incoming message there are two versions AD and BI and it is  looking at the wrong one.

Cheers

Arnab

peter_gottinger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

another BPM limitation is that the name and the type of a Fault have to be identical (see SAP Note 1624391). Can you please check your WSDL regarding this problem?

Best regards,

Peter

js2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Did you resolve this? I am having the same issue with a synchronous web service call (via PI).

Whenever a soap fault is returned I get the error: "Fault processing: No exception class found for faultName urn:pi:bpm:test:VendorInfoFault" in the logs.

The BPM process history is actually useless and just says that a technical error occured.

Also - I have modeled this with a Boundary event and completed the output mapping for it to get the fault text.

When the web service is successful and does not generate the soap fault it all processes properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I did the same thing and it did not work out. For some reason BPM Process stops if it gets a fault message and does not move on. This is 7.31 sp5.

If you are able to find a solution, would be great if you write here. I'm sure a lot of people would be facing this.

Cheers

Arnab

js2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Its happening on sp6 for us...

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Suggest you look at SAP Note 1751482 SOAP XI 3.0 Mode, Faults are not returned in the proper format.

See if the problem is similar... if it is please raise a SAP Message we currently have other customers with a similar problem and it would be good to get the variations to the development team so we can make sure it is fully fixed.

Regards,

Jocelyn

js2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for that oss message Jocelyn. Its already included in our support pack level though and therefore has not helped. We'll raise an oss message today.

It means that at the SP6 level BPM can't do error handling using boundary events for automated activity steps and sync processing.

Interestingly I see that in William Li's tutorial on PI and BPM he returns error messages as fields in the message instead of using fault messages and boundary events. Now I know why!   😉

--Jason.

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yeah - there's a bunch of work happening in this space at the moment so best bet is to get your SAP Messages in and we'll manage it that way.   Application faults are supported and are generally ok.  Technical faults have some challenges still and are being worked on.  Boundary events are fine - it's the capture of the fault that can be a little tricky at the moment.  But the more real life situations the better as this helps the developers clarify how people want to use it.

SB9
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I just had an BPM application code review and the expert suggested to include SOAP fault handling though boundary event to handle error conditions. We are triggering an email to admin for these errors.

If my understanding of above post is correct then it means that it will not work in case of a technical fault.

Please clarify ? what should be correct implementation to handle this situation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Soujanya,

If you want to trigger emails based on errors, you should look at the Alert mechanism and create alerts for notifying admin group which can be done for message errors as well as process errors in general.

Jocelyn and Jason,

I'm trying to get BASIS apply the note, but i'm guessing that if it doesn't work for Jason its probably not going to work for us. I'm trying to find a better work around.

Cheers,

Arnab

js2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab, We are already on the latest patch level which includes the note. I have a message in with OSS. Once we get a solution I'll update this discussion.

SB9
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

Thanks for your reply. Can you please provide some pointers to implement this alert mechanism. How do we model alerts in BPM ?

Regards,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

There is a possible offline reason I received on this EOD today which may or may not be accurate for your case,anyways needed to get a drink after that, in case you see this over the weekend. When you upgrade to ehp6 from ehp5 there is a possibility that certain parts of the PO stack if not done properly may still be in ehp5 if the patch was applied but some components may still be in ehp5 which may result in inconsistencies one of which may be this. I'm yet to investigate this further on Monday with BASIS.

This makes me ask the question, was your system also upgraded to ehp6 or a new install ehp6? Ours was done very recently.

Soujanya,

In NWA, there is a link for Alerts where you can configure alerts and type or alerts. the Mail server/port has to be configured first before that.

Cheers,

Arnab

js2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

We built our systems fresh - not an upgrade. SAP are still investigating my oss message. Its been moved to the java proxy runtime team. No resolution as of yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

Did you get any reply for your OSS message? Are you able to handle Fault messages in BPM now?

We are facing same problem with SP7.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gavaksh Saxena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to add, we are facing this issue for Application Faults as well as System Fault messages.

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab, Sounds like you need a boundary exception on the step in the BPM Process to catch the fault. You'd have to give us more information about exactly what and where the fault message is returned to know if there's anything additional you need to do to map the fault.

Regards,

Jocelyn