cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to find right ODBC driver - "sybase" possibly v11

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been tasked with supporting an obsolete, post-EOL product that uses a sybase database as the backend.  I am looking for the correct ODBC driver to connect to the db via DSN.  The biggest problem is that I'm not 100% sure what version of "sybase" db is used, and then a secondary problem is that althought the newer drivers are pretty easy to find, I am having trouble finding drivers that work for old databases.

Details on the db install:  the old system I am supporting is a Nortel Symposium v4.  Nortel went out of business I think 7 years ago, and back then they were on v7, so this is a pretty old system.  Old notes from my company suggest that this system might have had a "Sybase v11" database, maybe 11.5.  Now I thought "Sybase database" and "Sybase ASE database" were two different things and my internal notes from years ago refer consistently to just "Sybase", but I have seen some references on the internet suggesting that I should be looking for "sybase ASE".

When I tried to install the old ODBC drivers that were in my company's archives, I get a message from Windows (server 2012) that the setup.exe won't run on this version of windows.  Changing the compatibility settings had no effect.

so to sum up: I need a 32-bit ODBC driver for Sybase (possible "Sybase ASE" v11 or 11.5) that I can install on Win2012.  Am I searching for the wrong search parameters or looking in the wrong place?  Does this sound like an impossible task?

Jared

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dawn_kim
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The installer wasn't certified to install Windows 2012 until last year.
ref:http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/oltp-db/blog/2015/03/19/pc-client-for-sap-ase-and-sdk-...

Depending on how old the driver is it might be only certified with 16 bit systems not even 32 bit depending on the package.
Sybase 11 odbc package was end of lifed in 1999 if not earlier. There is no archive of this. This driver was made by a 3rd party vendor for Sybase. We can no longer distribute the older drivers because we do not own the rights for these.

The current driver from  15.7 SAP SDK for ASE is certified with Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) 15.5, 15.7 and 16.0. I know there are some MDA scripts you can run back to ASE 12.5 to get it functional with the newer drivers. But if there is an issue we would most likely ask you to update the older ASE.

So to install a Sybase 11 driver on Windows 2012 is an impossible task. It was built way before 64 bit systems so the installer is choking all over the place.

If you have an older package the company still has you are most likely have to install it on an older Windows version like NT or XP 32 bit to even get it installed correctly.

Thanks,
Dawn Kim

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Have you checked with Avaya Technical Support?

Generally, documentation (and competitors) generically refer to Sybase ASE (or Sybase SQL Server) as 'Sybase' or 'Sybase Database'.  The product is now SAP ASE.

That aside, Nortel Symposium embedded the ASE database (I was on the fringes of the team that sold the licenses to Nortel and have dealt with Symposium questions/connectivity over the years).

Technically, there is no reason that you cannot use a current ASE client (e.g. 15.7 or 16.0) ODBC driver (from an SAP ASE SDK service pack installation) against the older ASE.  The ODBC driver was long ago converted to a Wire Protocol driver, so does not need OpenClient installed underneath it.  Current versions are certified on newer OS and hardware combinations and should be able to talk to the older ASE release, even thuogh it was long ago EOL'd.  To access the SWDC to obtain the download, you will need to have an S-user ID as a current SAP customer.

License is another discussion, however.  The embedded ASE in Symposium was intended for access by Nortel-supplied software only.  If you have not done so already, you may have to license the ASE for full-use access to use 3rd-party software against it.  Check your license rights with Avaya and your SAP Account Executive.

If you have already licensed the ASE for full-use, then you should have access to the SWDC to get the latest SDK for the connectivity you need..

HTH

Chris