cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiprovider to include a single value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I explain what I'm trying to implement: we have created a multicube which includes two infocubes. This works. Buet now we need to show, for each virtual line of that multicube, a value. This value only depends on time. So I have created an ODS to store this value for each period. Then I include the ODS in our multicube. There is no common characteristics between the ODS and the other infocubes apart from the time characteristic. And the fact is that it doesn't work. I see it in a query: for each line of the multicube no value is assigned but, if we display a register without any value of the characteristic, then I see the value in an empty line, just with the time characteristic. I supposed that the multicube would have to generate a line for each combination of characteristics of every infocube/ODS and adding every value field. Is that so? I've tried including common characteristics in the ODS, and also changing the ODS for another infocube. But all these options didn't work to me.

Is there a limitation to mix more than two infocubes/ODS in a multicube?

How could I add a value at the end of every line in the query of our multicube? The value only depends on time characteristic.

Thank you very much for any help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The most evident "limitation" to be considered when working with MultiProviders is the fact that they do are related to UNION reltional operator rather than JOIN. That's why you see "different" lines.

Did you considered a different design? I was wondering if using a Custom Characteristic (let's say ZFISCPER)feeded by "period values" (don't now if it's 0FISCPER ...) with a "display" attribute could produce the desired result

Best regards

GFV

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I understand, the multicube with the two infocubes works as follows:

INFOCUBE1

0CALMONTH value 122004

CHARACT1 value A

CHARACT2 value X

CHARACT3 value J

KEYFIELD1 value 10

INFOCUBE2

0CALMONTH value 122004

CHARACT2 value X

CHARACT4 value PP

KEYFIELD2 value 200

MULTICUBE (INFOCUBE1 INFOCUBE2)

0CALMONTH 122004

CHARACT1 value A

CHARACT2 value X

CHARACT3 value J

CHARACT4 value PP

KEYFIELD1 value 10

KEYFIELD2 value 200

One line generated through the multicube to display in the query.

But when I add the following ODS:

ODS1

0CALMONTH value 122004

KEYFIELD3 value 250

That keyfield is not added to the line of the multicube, but a new line is generated for that value.

If the two infocubes are well "mixed", why the third one not?

That's my question.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, I don't know if I understand what you mean: where should I add the custom variable, in the multicube?

Thank you vary much,

Carlos.

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With different Characteristics between involved InfoCube the result of a Query with Charact 3 and 4 that are not "common" should be:

-> Line 1

0CALMONTH 122004

CHARACT1 value A

CHARACT2 value X

CHARACT3 value J

CHARACT4 value

KEYFIELD1 value 10

KEYFIELD2 value

-> Line 2

0CALMONTH 122004

CHARACT1 value A

CHARACT2 value X

CHARACT3 value

CHARACT4 value PP

KEYFIELD1 value

KEYFIELD2 value 200

By the way you could add a Cutom Char (never confuse it with variable) in the following way:

INFOCUBE1

0CALMONTH

Z_MONTH (same value than 0CALMONTH)

CHARACT1

CHARACT2

CHARACT3

KEYFIELD1

INFOCUBE2

0CALMONTH

Z_MONTH (same value than 0CALMONTH)

CHARACT1

CHARACT2

CHARACT4

KEYFIELD2

For InfoObject Z_MONTH you could define an attribute with the desired value to be displayed in order to see what you would like to gain from the actual ODS ...

Hope its clear.

GFV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much. So I could define an attribute to one of those custom characteristics that I use in my infocube. I can't insert a new characteristic in those two infocubes but if I use any other one different from z_calmonth I understand I can't make my value dependant on time. So I'll take I time to invent something similar to what you write.

Thak you very much!

Carlos Hinestrosa

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Be aware that only if the chosen char has the same values of CALMONTH you will reach the expected result ... The dependeancy you are trying to trace is on CALMONTH, isn't it?

Why can't you add one more Char in you ICs?

Best Regards

GFV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the dependency between the ODS and the other two infocubes is based on 0CALMONTH. But I have already tried adding more characteristics to the ODS and the result is the same.

I don't want to add unnecessary characteristics to the two infocubes because I think it should work the way it is.

Thank you very much, Gianfranco.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, don't worry about my problem. I'm lucky I have such a clever mate here. As she saw the problem she decided to restring the value of the ODS keyfield to all the other characs. in the multiprovider.

Thank you anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is another way to achieve your solution. Your query will probably contain a column that contains only KEYFIG3. When you restrict this column to the InfoProvider 'ODS' and rightclick on 0INFOPROV and choose 'Constant Selection' you can achieve the result without manipulating the content of the ODS or the other cubes. Restricting the ODS value to the other chars is fine but you sometimes need to load lots of data for all different combinations into the ODS.

Best regards

Dirk