cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple MDK Apps on a device and inter-app navigation

matteoprinetti
Participant

Hi experts,

we are evaluating moving from a Hybrid scenario (with SAP SMP Packager) to a MDK.

Suppose we have multiple MDK Apps installed on our devices (created with the MDK custom client). How is security and inter-app navigation managed ?

Let's say the user start MDK App 1 (some inventory app), log on, and then navigates from this app (via intent) to another MDK App. Does it need to log on again, set a pin code and so on ? Or do the MDK App recognize (from the secure store maybe) the session and bring the user straight into the new app ?

The way it works in Hybrid is you have a Launchpad with all the apps (defined in a file , appConfig.js) and once logged in you can move between the apps.

I understand MDK has no Launchpad at the moment, so we will need to deploy the apps as single Android MDK Custom clients. But of course we want to avoid a nightmare of users logging themselves in every single app.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you have multiple MDK applications on a device, each one is a completely independent application. They do not share any common information.

Users need to onboard to each application separately the first time. After onboarding, you control through the settings in Mobile Services if a user is required to enter a passcode when launching the app the second time and the complexity of the passcode. If you already require a device level passcode and are frequently jumping between applications you could consider no requiring a second level in app passcode. This will allow for seamlessly switching between applications.

Depending on the device, you can also enable biometric authentication instead of a passcode if you keep the in app passcode requirement. This would still prompt but reduce the effort to get back into the application after login.

matteoprinetti
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bill, thanks for the answer. In our case this would make MDK not suitable, we have over 40 separate apps in Fiori (the typical Launchpad user usually sees around 20-25 depending on his role) and changing users on top of that (in each shop there is a "pool" of devices and the employee pick one device at start of shift and log on).

Writing a single MDK App containing 40 apps looks like a bad solution to me.

Basically what we would need is a Launchpad scenario (which is supported in the hybrid toolkit), or a way to share credentials between MDKs. Is this something SAP is planning ?

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If the intent is to replicate a launch pad scenario in MDK you could do it as a single MDK container application.

I would look to write each app as a separate MDK application. This allows for easier maintenance and the potential to deploy the app individually if desired. Then if I wanted to deploy them into a single container app on the device, I would create a launchpad MDK app that linked together each of the individual applications as MDK component projects into a single MDK app for that container client.

You of course need to design for this type of scenario, specifically by creating a common initialization event that can be called from the launchpad to initialize the individual applications. This same event would be setup as the On Launch event in case you also wanted to deploy that same application as a separate app.

boghyon
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi bill.froelich,

SAP recently announced SAP Mobile Start. Do you happen to know whether SAP Mobile Start intends to integrate MDK apps as well?

In my understanding, SAP Mobile Start could function as a "launchpad" for various mobile applications including UI5 apps (And thus replacing the SAP Fiori Client). But the documentation doesn't mention MDK at all. What kind of role would MDK play in relation to SAP Mobile Start? Or are there no plans to combine those two products?