cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mulitiple Delta Initializations

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are in the remodeling phase of or BW landscape, and I was wondering can I use Mulitiple Delta Initializations off of one ODS? Can the change log handle this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael -

I see your point - I kind feel like at this point we are beating a dead horse. Our need for the ODS is simply for a staging area for multiple data targets, no Bex reporting so there for the SID's would be turned off.

I will be attending the NetWeaver conference in March - will there be a EDW expert at this forum? Perhaps I can pick up the discussion in person.

I really appreciate your feed back on this topic - it's been very helpful!

Regards,

Mike Levites

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ah I see. You use the ODS as an buffer.

We design this ODS with a unique key like a counter. This is the fastes way. After updating the data targets with a full upload. We copy the data from the ODS into the data warehouse ODS's. This can be done during the day. After this upload we delete the staging buffer ODS data.

We are thinking about creating a new Forum EDW for BW in practice in the SDN.

I know in April is the SAPphire'05 in Copenhagen. I have no idea if there is an EDW session.

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

The point is that Levites us using 0FI_AP_3. As it is Accounts Payable, The data source will deliver only records with after Images(AIM). Data will not flow through Delta Queue to BW. So for data sources which supports AIM delta ODS should be used to implement the delta.

Regards

Sudheer K.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm sorry for the confusion here - Were in the beginning stages of building a Enterprise Data warehouse layer, so if we use a delivered data source like (for example 0_FI_AP_3) and load the data to an ODS. Let's assume there 3 custom cubes that pull data from this data source I would like to set off 3 different INIT's for each cube. I know the change log of the ODS can't handle this, but how is this supposed to handled? Is there no other way but to build duplicate ODS's? I'm starting to look into Generic data sources off of the active table of the ODS.

Let me know if anyone has encoutered this yet?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi michael,

ahh, okay. i got it - so you want to send 3 different delta inits to 3 different cubes.

hmm... why don't you just init once, but restrict the data coming in on the cube end (via update rule), like say, delete records that are irrelevant for this cube, etc. that way if there are changes that would reflect to the ODS that you don't want all cubes to get, it can be done.

or is your problem arising from the fact that there are different delta "requirements" for each cube (for example one cube you want to be updated every time a new record is created/modified and you want another cube updated only for deletions)? in that way generic datasources would be your only recourse (i think).

ryan.

S0007726612
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

we are forced with the same problem:

An EDW (Enterprise DataWarehouse Layer) was set up (ODS)and now we want to initialize various InfoCubes via Delta-Init. Unfortunately selections are not possible here - at least in the InfoPackage.

I just wonder if there is no better solution SAP can offer than deleting the records in the Startroutines of each InfoCube.

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Klaus,

No.

This is the only valid way to do so.

Best regards,

Almar van Pel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klause -

Thanks for the reply - I've been testing the generic delta's (RSO2) for this purpose. I believe this will work if we merge in a time stamp characteristic for the delta pointer -

See the problem is, if you send one INIT to 3 data sources and if only one is bad you need to reload all - Seems more practical to extend the change log table from within the ODS.

Really very curious to hear what the suggestion from SAP is - will there be added functionality in the next versions. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the generic delta is the solution to split delta upload.

I have an additional question.

Why are u using the ODS in the staging process although the ODS is not needed to calculate any delta. e.g. get the right delta then loading after image data.

The ODS could be a bottleneck when loading data. This means the data will not be available for reporting in time.

Why do you not updating the ODS (EDW) and InfoCube in parallel?

Any answer is appreciated!

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael -

Well I guess the short answer is - We have multiple data sources feeding off of on info-source. Once we init to multiple data targets the init is complete - if we have a data issues in one of the targets we will need to reload all.

For example if we take on of 2LIS extractors were we need to take account of the record mode flag - we will need the ODS to handle the document deletions, then from the change log send the reversal to data target above.

Although we can handel something like this in the start routine of the update rules - it's a bit to much processing.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

I see your point. You need the ODS for calculating the delta. So, the ODS os necessary in the upload process.

Once again, I believe the EDW and the a fast upload process are are a bit competing each other. The reason for this are the goals. The goal of the usage of the ODS in the upload process is to get fast the correct delta.

The goal of an ODS in the EDW is to store the history of the information in the enterprise. For example, the ODS is calculating the delta and this means the history of the document will be lost. In the EDW you wanna store the history of the documents to get additional key figures.

Additionally some of Power EndUser wants to report on the EDW e.g. check the history of the documents. But this can only be done, if u use InfoSets or enable the SID's. If u use InfoSets might have problems by useing MultiProviders. If u use SID's in the ODS, it will be slow down the upload process. At the end you need both an fast upload process + an EDW layer.

Do you see my point?

Kind reg.

Michael

henry_jones
Participant
0 Kudos

Michael: I do realize this is an old posting... but did you get the EDW layer to work? If so, how did you handle 0RECORDMODE?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi michael,

if you're asking if you can put multiple delta inits into one ODS, so as long as they come from different datasources, you shouldn't have problems with that. as for multiple delta inits from the ODS, well, i don't think so - you'll have to make sure that you init once for all relevant destination infoproviders.

if i didn't quite answer your question, please do ask again. i'd be more than willing to help out.

ryan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hy

Yuo can have also more init for the same datasource if there are not inteffering between them.

For example:

COmpany 1-4

Company 5-8

and so on.

Regards