cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Memo Fields from Universe Please Help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone tell me why all of the memo fields are missing when I try to use a Universe to connect to the database.

If I use a query to create the Universe or insert tables the memo fields are not avalible in a Universe.

In the designer the memo fields show up on the right side pane, but do not show on the left side pane.

If I don't use a universe and just use a standard oledb connection the memo fields are there and I can use them.

Help Please.

Thanks

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please explain in detail what exactly you are trying to do.

Thanks,

SK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a report that has memo fields in it. I create a universe either by choosing the fields directly or by selecting a view created on the sql server. When I add the tables to the universe the memo fields are listed but when I export the universe they are not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I never worked on memo fields. memo fields are used to store large text data am i right. By using table browser you inserted the table in universe pane. did you create an object by dragging that memo field in to classes and objects pane? Then did you Test the integrity of the universe did it parse every thing right?

Try to check all these and then export that universe and check in webintelligence whether you can see those objects which are created using the memo fields.

Thanks,

SK.

Edited by: Vallabhaneni SK on Jun 4, 2009 8:21 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes a memo field is used to store large amounts of text.

Yes I did create the object for the table by dragging it into the classes/objects pane but when I do that, the memo fields are gone. You can see them on the right side pane but when you drag the table to the left side pane they are gone.

You can expand both to see the fields and the right side has the memo fields and the left side does not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You mean that when you drag those memo field from universe pane they are not visible in classes and objects pane. did you try to drag the whole table from the right hand side in to Classes and objects pane? Or try to create one object manually and try to select the memo field by using the select statement in object properties and parse it and see whether its parsing well or not.

Then see if its visible if you try to create it manually.

Thanks,

SK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, If I drag the whole table they are not there, if I drag just the memo field they are not there. I have tried to create it manually and that does not work either. I created a new universe that had two fields in it. One was a basic field and one memo field. The basic text field shows in both panes, but the memo fields will only show in the right pane, not in the left one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried to manually create the object and when I try to parse it I get the error

"The expression type is not compatible with the object type."

Thanks

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got it.

If you manually add the memo field, then change the type from character to long text it will then work. Kind of crazy but it works.

Thanks for your help!!!

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are welcome.

Thanks,

SK.

Answers (0)