Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from SEM-BPS to BW35-BPS

harjan_terhaar
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I'm just wondering the following:

if you're upgrading BPS from SEM3.x/BW3.x to BW35-BPS do I have to go thru a migration path then?

Or does this depends on SEM and BW running on different systems?

I assume that if you've got one server with BW and SEM on top of it a migration wouldn't have any impact on existing BPS-settings.

I'm looking forward to your appreciated answers!

Kind regards, Harjan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katie/Marc,

We are also using IP, I am looking for any documentation on the creation of offline planning functionality using input queries. Is there any, I have the training notes, but need something more detailed.

Thanks

Rex

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harjan,

there is no migration necessary. Mostly all of the configuration will work as before. The exception are some SEM specific planning functions. Please see the FAQ

http://service.sap.com/bifaq > SAP NetWeaver '04 > Business Planning

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

harjan_terhaar
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Marc,

Thanks a lot for you answer. The faq-sheet is very good!

Some more questions regarding BPS and IP in BW7.0:

1. I was at SEM215-training last week and I understood

that in BW7.0 all planning functions are available (also financial ones from SEM). Can you confirm this?

2. Is Integrated Planning also becoming part of SEM

3. Does IP contain the same functionality as BPS.

Kind regards, Harjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harjan,

1. Neither BW-BPS nor BI-Integrated Planning in SAP NetWeaver 2004s BI includes the financial-specific planning functions from SEM. If those functions are required, you would still need SEM-BPS. It is strongly recommended that you try to use BI-IP as your planning solution, if possible, because this is where the future development will be focused.

2. No

3. BI-IP is similar conceptually to BW-BPS, however, it has advantages from its integration with the BEx Suite and OLAP processing from the analytical engine that is now shared by reporting and planning. For more information, see the presentation on BI Integrated Planning in SAP NetWeaver 2004s at or http://service.sap.com/bi in the

BI in SAP NetWeaver 2004s > BI Scenarios > Business Planning and Analytical Services folder.

Regards,

Katie Beavers

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

harjan_terhaar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks a lot for your appreciated answers.

I'm a little confused. I'm at a customer who is not using BW/SEM yet but likes to do its Financial Integrated Planning in BW/SEM.

I'd like to advise to go into IP because this is the new solution and has the focus for new development.

However no financial functions nor BusContent provided.

Questions:

1. Will these financial functions and BusContent be provided in IP and if so, when?

2. What will happen with SEM-BPS if IP is the new tool and IP is not moved to SEM?

3. Is it easy to create these functions (NPV etc) in IP by using FOX?

4. Bottom-line: What to advise a new customer?

4. Does xRPM40 integrate with BPS and/or IP?

I'm looking forward to your appreciated answer!

Kind regards, harjan

harjan_terhaar
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry, forgot to change the subject.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harjan,

Sorry, I have been out of the office.

1. There are no plans to provide the financial business content as part of the BI-IP tool.

2. SAP will continue to support BW-BPS and the SEM-BPS content.

3. I am told by my consulting friends that it is possible to create these functions using Fox, but I can't tell you the level of difficulty. I would recommend checking out the info that is already on SDN on this topic, and if you have a specific question that hasn't been previously addressed, posting it on this forum for help from the experts.

4. We would recommend a new customer use BI-IP wherever possible, as new development will be directed toward this tool.

5. None of the areas have built content on BI-IP yet. You'll have to check the xRPM documentation as far as BPS.

Regards,

Katie

harjan_terhaar
Participant
0 Kudos

Katie,

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your answers.

I'm still wondering about IP.

If this is the new planning tool, why does it not support the financial business content?

To me it seems of no use for customers to use IP in conjunction with SEM-BPS (for the financial part).

Or am I missing something?

Kind regards, Harjan