Can we do it with UMT?

Thanks in advance

Bhanu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu,

BO 3.1 reports on sql server cannot be moved to BO 4.0 on SAP BW this is on oracle database as the databases are different so odbc drivers used for the connection between databases and BO will be different so you cannot use UMT, because the databases should be same i.e. in 3.1 you were using Sql server in 4.0 also you must have Sql server not the SAP BW on oracle database then only you can use UMT for migration.

Regards

Shivakumar

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is completely wrong answer.

UMT can move reports from Xi3.1 on SQL Server to BI4.x on BW/Oracle .

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shivakumar,

Your response is completely WRONG !!!!

Ajay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bhanu,

Not a problem.  You can use UMT to move ALL Report content from BOE XI 3.1 (server1) to BI 4.0 (Server2) without any issues.  Very strong recommend updating XI 3.1 to SP6 and upgrading BI 4.0 to SP8 or to BI 4.1 w/ SP2 for better stability.   You should also install NEW MS SQL2008 64bit server to migrate the Database first.

Somethings to do on Server2 after move:

- Create 32bit and 64bit ODBC to MS SQL datasource

- Continue to use UNV or convert them to UNX over time

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Daniel and Ajay for your response

Coming to UMT, do I need to access UMT tool from server?

BO 4.0 is installed on Linux server

Can't I use UMT installed on local machine by connecting to the severs?

Regards

Bhanu

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UMT GUI tool comes with server install package for Windows.
It cannot be used from client windows OS'ses, you need to install full BOE server stack on Win Server to use GUI UMT without problems.

Linux has command line UMT utility that can be used to migrate full content. (it cannot do incremental upgrades)

Jusdging by your questions, you should take time to review BI4 Upgrade guide as well as Admin guide. You can find them on http://help.sap.com

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bhanu,

UMT is a 64bit tool that is installed with BI 4.0 Server suite.  Make sure you have configured your OS Temp to a larger drive.  UMT will use the OS Temp settings.  If you have a desktop running 64bit OS then you could do a custom install of the UMT tool but otherwise UMT will need to be run on the Linux server.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both again

I trying to UMT tool installed in Windows server, as I have to go for incremental upgrade

Regards

Bhanu

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bhanu,

Make sure that the Windows Server is running 64bit.  When installing the server option, choose CUSTOM.   UMT is under Server - Administrative Tools, see below.

'

- You may also want to install the 32-bit Client tools as well, separate install

- MS SQL 32/64bit drivers and ODBC for testing.

- SAP Gui 7.3 for testing

Regards,

Ajay