cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from Web IDE to BAS on-premise

RaminS
Active Participant

We are trying to see if moving to BAS from WebIDE is possible (or recommended) for on-premise scenarios. All the SAP documents and blogs I've seen on the subject only talk about cloud, there is literally nothing about on-premise environments.

My questions are:

1. Do we need to upgrade the on-premise runtime environment from Neo to Cloud Foundry? If so, how do we do that? If not, how do we deploy Node.js apps in BAS to a Neo on-premise runtime?

2. Can we keep some apps in Web IDE, and migrate some apps to BAS to test it out? or is it all-or-nothing?

3. Is it common practice after migration to BAS to perform complete UAT of the deployed apps? The logic hasn't changed, just the file structure. What are best practices? (UAT of all our apps will require a lot of time/effort from the client business groups)

Thanks in advance.

RaminS
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Anyone have any hints?

Has everyone gone to the cloud except us?.... 🙂

Are we the only ones left on Earth? ...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

yuval_morad
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

No it means that the deploy feature from BAS requires it.

The backend system contains the SAP_UI component version 7.53 or newer, but the SAPUI5 repository service cannot be reached.The SAPUI5 repository service is active and reachable but whenever I deploy an application, I see the following error Request failed with status code 400.
  • This could have multiple reasons, check the console for more information, or open transaction /IWFND/ERROR_LOG and check the server logs. A common issue is that during the setup, configuring a virus scan profile is forgotten. This can be corrected in the transaction /IWFND/VIRUS_SCAN.

https://help.sap.com/viewer/17d50220bcd848aa854c9c182d65b699/Latest/en-US/1b7a3be8d99c45aead90528ef4...

RaminS
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks yuval.morad. I checked and we do have SAP_UI 7.54 in the gateway .

So I guess the answer is: BAS should work for on-premise Abap based systems, as long as we migrate all our apps from WebIDE into BAS, and deploy them to the on-premise server.

But after deployment, all the apps need to go through user testing, as the functionality may not have stayed intact though the migration.

Is that a correct conclusion?

Thanks.

yuval_morad
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I am not sure this would be the conclusion.

1. Deploy to ABAP in BAS uses OData service and requires 7.54 I think

2. The frontend apps needs migration to use BAS tools

RaminS
Active Participant
0 Kudos

7.54 is not supported for ERP backends, we can only go up to 7.50.

Does that mean we can't use BAS?

Thanks.

yuval_morad
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

1. Migration of frontend apps from Neo runtime to CF was working for many customers

2. Bas supports deployment of front end apps to CF or to ABAP on premise

3. Deployment of backend apps node or Java based is supported to CF using MTA based project

4. You can migrate part of your apps and test if it works

5. migration of one frontend app the first time can take a few hours, the second time should take mintutes

RaminS
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks yuval.morad

So we don't have to change anything in the on-premise gateway system or backend after switching from Web IDE to BAS? The applications will just be deployed to the gateway server as before (ie. the BSP apps will be created the same way and served by Fiori Launch)?

If that is true, then there's no need to re-test all our migrated apps (if the runtime artifacts are exactly the same as with Web IDE). Our business teams will be very happy to hear this!