cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data Time Dependent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay , kishore, srini,bhanu and other experts. please help me here. I have a requirement to load the master data and now some master data such employee manager is time dependent so say for a july 2006 month manager name is john and the in august 2006 it manager name is mike, so like that user has few more time dependent master data.

please tell me in exact steps how to handle this ,

1. one way is by clicking on time dependent master data

for "manager name" attribute and use the key date is query so every time i load the data with flat file it should create a new entry with time stamp in q table and i can pull that manager name for all record for a period by using key date in query correct me if this works but it overload system

"But user want to put in transactional data and link it with master data i do not know what it is please tell me the approach so that i can make the user happy

all experts please help

soniya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Soniya,

As Ajay has stated, the system will automatically make the link to the transaction data and you do not have to do anything special. Just make the Manager time-dependent and query the data by date.

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi this approach is good but incase of too many time dependent master data please tell me another way to solve this since every time u create a time dependent master data it create additional entry in q table so overload to system

please help me soon on this

soniya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Other option ofcourse is to put the characteristic in the cube itself (eg in the case discussed earlier, put 'Manager' as a characteristic in the same dimension as 'employee').

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi if i put the manager as employee in cube then we are loading the data from flat file full load then it will overwrite the manager name in cube for last month

say i have manager name john for month 08

i load the trans data from flat file it will take it

now next manager name john now if i load the data it will overwrite, user want to maintain the history so that if i run the query for month 08 it should show me manager name john and if i run the query for month 09 it should show me manager name john. please help how to resolve this

since making too many time dependent master data will over load the system so user do not want that. also is there any way to load delta from flat file in bw version 3.0

i will reward 100% point if anybody can clarify the approach to make this happen

soniya

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, data in cube doesn't get overwritten. However, your situation is different as the attribute (manager eg) doesn't come with the txnl data and so can't get simultaneously loaded to the cube.

You can maintain the time-dependent master data as suggested earlier. In addition, do add 'manager' as a characteristic to the cube. In the update rule for 'manager', read the master data table to get the right value.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay Thanks for the right answer, i will also keep in ming ur comment to post the questions. Please let me know if u have any code that u can send me as template to put in update rule, and also let me know how that work if i put manager in cube as seperate characteristic

thanks

soniya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul it works for this case but user need to put some attributes as characteristic in cube even though we made the attribute time dependent so please let me know if u can suggest the logic and code to put in update rule to pick the correct time dependent values for the charactertics in report

thanks

soniya

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use 'master data attribute of' type update rule to fill 'manager' value (taking the attribute value from employee infoobject), or, you can use something like following in the update rule

data : wa like <q_table>.

select single * from <q_table>  into wa
  where <iobjkey> = comm_structure-<iobjkey>
    and <objvers> = 'A'
    and datefrom le comm_structure-<keydatefield>
    and dateto   ge comm_structure-<keydatefield>.
if sy-subrc = 0.
   result = wa-<attribute_name>.
endif.
abort = 0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi please tell me how i can make "master data attribute of" type update rule please give some hint steps

also please tell if i have to modify this code if i want to use the company code 0comp_code time dependent attribute for 0costcenter and put company code as characteristic in cube and refer by update rule

data : wa like <q_table>.should'nt this be </BIO/QCOSTCENTER>

select single * from <q_table> into wa

where <iobjkey> = comm_structure-<iobjkey>* PLEASE TELL If i have to put iobjkey since it is not not there in q table for cost center i saw </BIO/QCOSTCENTER>

and <objvers> = 'A'

and dateto ge comm_structure-<keydatefield>.

if sy-subrc = 0.

result = wa-<attribute_name>.*please tell if i have to put the attribute name here as COMP_CODE or the code will work as it is.

endif.

abort = 0

Former Member
0 Kudos

The literal within <..> is supposed to be replaced by the actual field name (as I didn't know the fields). In this case, I am changing your code for costcenter/company-code.

data : wa like /bi0/qcostcenter.

select single * from /bi0/qcostcenter into wa
where costcenter = comm_structure-costcenter
and objvers = 'A'
and dateto ge comm_structure-<keydatefield>.

if sy-subrc = 0.
result = wa-comp_code.
endif.
abort = 0.

You can use this code for update rule of company_code. You have to replace '<keydatefield>' with a field name that contains the date on which the company is to be derived. If there is a date in your comm_structure (eg aedat) which you can use, you can specify that field in place of this literal (instead of comm_structure-<keydatefld> use comm_structure-aedat). If you have no such field, and you wish to use current date for getting the company code from time-dependent master data, you can use sy-datum (ie replace comm_strucutre-<keydatefld> with sy-datum).

And it should work.

The 'master data attribute' option is one of the options when you create update rule (one of the radio button options).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am able to get this, please tell if i put key date to and key date from as system date in update rule and then run the query with key date variable standard option in query properties will the report will then pull the company code for the date the user put in key date if not how to establish this

thanks

soniya

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have comp_code in cube, AND , in time-dependent attribute, you essentially have two places to drag/drop this value from.

If you choose it from the cube, the 'key date' of the query will have no effect, as the data will be read from the cube and will have the value that was updated there.

If you instead chose the attribute field 'company_code' for the cost-center characteristic, it will bring data from the master data table.

Since you wanted to do this for performance reason (ie avoid the master data table reading), select the cube characteristic 'company-code' field (and not the master data attribute one).

In the update rule, if you chose system date for loading, the value for comp_code will always be what was on the day of loading the particular record(s).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ajay thanks fo rthe help but please tell me if there is a way i can modify the abap code and make the user enter the value for the date on which he want to pull th emaster data for company code or keydate to and from and pull the master data, so how will i proceede should i create the variable on 0doc_date and how to modify the code. please help . i have opened another question with same desc as above to assign points

thanks

soniya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your scenario, is employee time-dependent or not?

I am sure you already have Employee as time-dependent because employee attributes go through several changes like name, pay level, grade, manager, etc. So, we don't need to make Manager additionally time-dependent - just the employee.

Also, organizations usually use a numbering scheme to differentiate two employees with the same name and I assume you will be storing the number of the manager in the manager attribute rather than the name.

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your infoobject is setup with time-dependent master data (eg employee infoobject has a time-dependent 'manager' attribute).

You load the master data using a flatfile.

Your reports use key-date to determine correct master data; in case of a range of dates, system determines the correct values.

So far, so good. "But user want to put in transactional data and link it with master data" - what is this I do not get.

If a user puts a txnl data to a cube - say

date=====employee=====expenses

09/01====E01 =====103.42

09/02====E01 =====59.00

(where manager for E01 on 09/01 was M01 and on 09/02 was M02 say)

And you want the report to look like

Month (or date) Manager----totalexpense

09/06--

M01--

09/06--

M02--

The system will do it for you. (Ie link the correct values for the master data in your queries on the cube, you do not have to put 'Manager' in the cube, it can be correctly derived from the time-dependent master data). Not sure if this is what you are asking.

ps : Please do not mention names (ie A, B, C and other experts) in your posts; for one it may put off others from providing what might be a perfect answer, and, it is embarassing (for me at least, to be termed something like an expert)). Thanks.

Message was edited by: Ajay Das

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ajay, Please help every one on this in BI 7.0. I have a requirement to bring 0fiscper and 0VAC_PER cube ZMAP_1.

Cube ZMAP_1 has standard mapping to infosource and datasource 0refx_2. now since 0fiscper and 0VAC_PER are missing in 0REFX_2 ,I am trying to bring the fields from

0refx_5 but when i create the transformation from cube cube ZMAP_1 to infosource 0refx_5 it ask me to map 0calday field in cube but there is no valid from or 0calday field in infosource 0refx_5 so i try mapping 0fiscper with 0calday which ofcourse will not work. please suggest now in steps how to proceede, since i have very simple requirement to bring 0fiscper and 0VAC_PER in cube ZMAP_1 by creating the mapping from datasource 0refx_5.

please help with the steps in BI 7.0

thanks

Regards

Soniya Kapoor