cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master data and Transaction data distinction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai All,

I have a small question regarding how we divide objects into Master and transaction data.

I have 0PLANT and Plant category(0PLANTCAT, Postal Code(0POSTAL_CD), Purchasing organization(0PURCH_ORG), Region (0REGION).

Now as Plant category(0PLANTCAT, Postal Code(0POSTAL_CD), Purchasing organization(0PURCH_ORG), Region (0REGION) are attributes of 0PLANT, I am making 0PLANT as Master data object and not the others.

Now my question is do the other objects become Transaction data? or are they just Master data attributes?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Visu,

When you say that you are making 0PLANT as master data object, I assume that you mean that you checked the With Master data box and added the other objects to the attribute tab of 0PLANT manitenance (RSD1).

The other objects will become part of transaction data if they are included in a cube or an ODS. You can check these objects in RSD1: If any of them have the Attribute Only box checked, then the object can only be an attribute and cannot be included as a char in the transaction data.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Bhanu,

Thanks for the reply. Your understanding is correct and I understand the attributes. But then can't I use 0PLANT in any infocubes? When I checked the "where used", it shows its been used in many dat atargets. But at the same time, its a Master data object...

Master data is central and is used by many data targets. But as the data is stored in infoObject and the same infoObject is also used in data targets, isn't this contradictory. I am alittle confused here. Can you help me?

Thank you.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Visu,

See, when you include 0PLANT in any cube, you are not including its attributes (master data) in the cube too. The fact that 0PLANT has master data does not make it a "master data" object.

"Master data is central and is used by many data targets." means that wherever you are using 0PLANT, you will always have access to the info stored as 0REGION if 0REGION is an attr of 0PLANT. The 0REGION info is stored centrally and is not repeated in every infocube that contains 0PLANT.

Imagine that Cube1 just has data about plants A,B and D and that Cube2 has data about plants E and G. But! all 0REGION info about plants A, B, D, E and G is stored only in one place (centrally).

Hope this helps...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member195980
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Always two options:

1. You can use 0REGION as a navigational attribute of 0PLANT (master data).

2. You can laod 0REGION into the InfoProvider (transaction data - read in update rules out of master data)

It now depends:

- If the region of a plant switches, you can not easy change the transaction data. Only by uploading from scratch.

- If you use Region often in reporting, option 2 has much better performance, and you can build aggregates.

There is more to it, but these are probably the most important questions...

Regards,

Beat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

All the remaining are masterdata attributes(nothing but explaining the master data) who, wat...etc.

Transaction data is sales orders, purchase order...etc are created using this maste data.

Simple example is ur bank account no is master data and ur name, address, phone no are the attributes for master data(account no) and transactions you do using ur account no(master data) is nothing but transactional data.

Srini