cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Connection to Hana DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please excuse this question if it sounds dumb.  I am simply trying to connect to my Hana DB from my Hana Studio both are on the cloud platform.  Can anyone tell me where I would find the instance number?  Also,  I keep getting errors on the host name.  Please HELP.

Thanks,

Church Mickel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bernd_hofmann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers 🙂

I guess you have a locally installed HANA Studio and want to connect to your HANA schema in the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. In that case, you have to open a tunnel because due to security requirements neither database host nor port, user, password, etc. are exposed directly. Please follow the instructions in our online documentation how to open a database tunnel.

If not, please describe your setup in more detail.

Regards,

Bernd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bernd,
Ha!  In that case I'll make sure I don't answer anyone

Thanks for getting back to me.  I actually figured that on my own right after I wrote this question and even started running SQL statements and SQL Procedures against the demo data. I also created my own db and imported some csv data in. I had some headaches on the security though after making the initial connection when I was trying to create a workspace in the repository. That took some time trying to figure out how to fix that.

Now, for my next question: I have a large MySQL database that I'd like to move over to my Hana db. Do I have to export the whole thing to csv files one table at a time or is there a faster, easier way to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Church Mickel

bernd_hofmann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

One possibility - as you mentioned - is to use the SAP HANA Studio to upload CSV files. However, for larger data volumes you might want to use the SAP Data Services. Please have a look at the SAP HANA Master Guide, section 4.4.3 Modeling and Data Provisioning for ETL-Based Replication (SAP Data Services).

This can be used if you have full access to your SAP HANA database. In case you are using SAP HANA Cloud platform (I'm still not sure which offering you are using) you do not have that full access. However, we are currently working on s solution that will allow you to use the SAP Data Services in the SAP HANA Cloud platform as well.

Regards,

Bernd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bernd,

Thanks.  I'm on the cloud.  So I guess for now,  I'm SOL.  It's ok though I was really just curious.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bernd,

Can you do me a favor?  I have another post out there about having issues with XS.  I have some screen shots on it.  I can't seem to figure out what is going on.  The title is called:

'Can't run Hello World .xsjs  application on the XS engine(Please help the NEWBIE!)' .

Answers (0)