cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my ODBC within Powerbuilder 12.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having recently installed PB 12.5, everything was working well on the Claasic side.  After installing a 12.5 application executable over SQL Anywhere 12.0, within the Powerbuilder environment, I suddenly have lost my ODBC database interface.  I am on a 64/32 bit machine.  Does anyone have any ideas how to get my ODBC back?  If I open ODBC Data sources from the control panel, everything is there.

Thanks,

Melvyn Polatchek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please define what you mean by "After installing a 12.5 application executable over SQL Anywhere 12.0" and "lost my ODBC database interface".

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a production as well as a development computer.  It might be coincidence but I installed a powerbuilder 12.5 application using installshield.  This app uses SQL Anywhere 12.0.  It was after this, that my database painter in the "Installed Database Interfaces listing, no longer displays my ODBC or any profiles.  I am using PB 12.5 build 2511.

This is a windows 7 machine.  It is 64 bit, but can run 32 bit apps.

Thanks,

Melvyn Polatchek

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See if there's anything in your registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\XX.X\DatabaseProfies\PowerBuilder where XX.X is your PB version.  That's where your database profiles are stored at.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce

Yes, all of the DSNs are in that area of the registry.  It is not profiles that are missing. It is the actual ODBC interface that is missing.

Thanks,

Mel Polatchek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mel;

Correct ... the MSI would have played with the actual DSN entries and not the PB based DB Profiles as it does not understand these. You will probably have to use the ODBC Admin Utility to re-create the missing DSN's as I suspect that the MSI has deleted/damaged them.   😞

I suspect that the DSN's were located in the registry at the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources" location. You can check with the RegEdit utiliity and see. I would hazard a guess that they are all missing.

Once you recreate them with the ODBC Admin Utility though, you might want to use RegEdit and export all the sub-entries of that key so that you can easily restore them in the future if another MSI damages these entries (food for thought).

Regards .. Chris

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sybase\PowerBuilder\12.5\Vendors

That's where Sybase stores the list of database interfaces.

If that's not it, then I'm dense and I still have no idea what you mean by

"lost my ODBC database interface".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruce,

You nailed it!  That is what I did and it worked.  Why that registry entry dissappeared is still a mystery but I'm backing up the registry regularly now.

Thanks to you and Chris for your attention to this matter.

Melvyn Polatchek

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great!  Could you go ahead and mark the question as answered and also indicate which responses you found "correct" or "helpful".  Thanks!

Answers (0)