cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loading Transaction data into cube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys, im trying to load a transaction data flat file into a cube. The data has the following..0CO_AREA,0DB_CR_IND, e.t.c and about 38 other coulums [including amount and quantity]. I was wondering how i could load this into the cube i.e. do i need to create an infoobject for each coulumn?

a step-by-step way of loading it into the cube will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurbinder,

You would load all the data at once from a single flat file. The flat file structure should be similar to the transfer structure. Each info-object's data in the flat file would be separated by either "," or ";" and the records would be in separate rows.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guribinder

check the relavant info object in the business content, if u dont find the relavant one then create infobject. Make sure that the transfer structure should be the same like flat file. Before loading the data into the cube, first make sure that you dont have any blank cells in your flatfile, which may give u wrong results in Reporting

Regards

Kanth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a small note to add - Flat file could be delimited or fixed length. Fixed length file will load fast than a delimited.

Also - if this is a very large load and load time is an issue, you could break your source file up into a few smaller files and then load them concurrently

Former Member
0 Kudos

gurbinder,

U should load all at once.

Also make sure u have the same order of fields matching the transfer structure, ie ur transfer structure should match ur flat file order exactly.

Message was edited by: ravi raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurbinder,

The Step-by-Step Loading of Flatfile into Cube is as Follows:

1. Create a source system in SAP BW

2. Create an InfoSource with flexible update under an application component .

In the next step, you need to consider where the DataSource comes from for your transaction data. If you want to use a DataSource from Business

Content, then you have to activate this in the source system. With this scenario, go to steps 3 and 4, because a DataSource from Business Content is automatically hanging under an application component. Furthermore,

you have the option of enhancing the DataSource for transaction data.

3. Create an application component in the source system (transaction SBIW)

4. Create a DataSource for transaction data in the source system (transaction SBIW)

5. Update the application component hierarchy for the source system in BW and replicate the DataSource under the corresponding application

component in the SAP BW.

6. Connect a DataSource with the InfoSource

Use a DataSource from Business Content and a suitable

InfoSource.

7. Define the transfer rules

8. Create update rules

By using the communication structure for the

InfoSource, the transaction data arrives in the data targets (BasicCubes,ODS objects), according to the logic defined in the update rules. Thus, in

contrast to transfer rules, update rules are not specific to the source system, but rather are specific to the data target. With the help of update

rules, the data targets can be supplied by one or more InfoSources. They are used for posting data in the data targets as well as the modifying and deriving data (for example, update routines for master data derivation,

as well as currency translation).

9. Create InfoPackage and schedule it for update

10. Monitor the data loading process by using the monitor

Hope this Helps you.

Thanks,

Krish

*Awarding points is way of saying Thanks to SDN .

Former Member
0 Kudos

The flat file that i am trying to load contains text, how do i get around that if i am to load it all at once?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The main thing here that your texts are divided by delimiters ';' or ',' and don't contain these delimiters in the text fields itself.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

so what do i do about the text in the transfer rules? Do i just leave them out

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean that your texts are really texts for some IOs? Or you mean that they might be textual string for charateristics values?

If you use a flexible DS, then you can leave real texts in there, create data targets for their upload, create URs for these data targets and scatter all IS information into different objects.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurbinder,

If you are going to load Texts create URLS for those as suggested by Eugene. But I dont have any idea why u need texts in transaction data for some analysis ??

wat I didnt understand is , if you have maintained as text attribute ,u have masterdata for that. u dont need to load in Data target.

Thanks,

Krish

Message was edited by: krishna V

Former Member
0 Kudos

The type of text im talking about is i.e. Product, and brand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I can judge, you are working with CO cube. If it is not customized, then there are standard infoobjects for such predelivered cubes. Moreover, if these IOs are in the cubes then you may use them in the comm structure (infosource). Or you can install them from the business content. Select your cube, choose dataflow before and install gathered objects. After that you'll have update rules and infosource for your load. Just make sure that a column sequence in your flat file corresponds to the sequence of infoobjects in your comm structure.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

When loading the file do i just load the whole flat file at once, or do i have to break them into colums and load them into each infobject one at a time?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The whole file at once.

That's why the fields sequence has an importance.

Message was edited by: Eugene Khusainov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use the existing infoobject in ur BW system. if u wont get any info ojetcs which are relevant to ur data then try to check whether it is available in BC, or else u can create ur own info objects for that and then map those in the transfer rules.. remaining is same...

REgards-

MM