cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape recommendation 2 or 3 Integration Suite Tenants?

gregorw
Active Contributor

Hello SAP Integration Suite Experts, udo.paltzer, daniel.graversen, 7a519509aed84a2c9e6f627841825b5a,

I have the following challenge:

Currently we're using CPI on BTP Neo to integrate from our on Premise ERP Systems (one for Logistics, one for HR) to external Systems like SalesForce and Government entities. From SalesForece there is also a integration back to the Logistics ERP. The ERP Systems are setup in a 3-System Landscape (Dev, QA, Production). But the Dev system does not contain useful test data. So for CPI currently only two tenants are in place. One connected to QA and one to Production.

With the S/4HANA implementation project the S/4 development system should now also be setup to contain useful test data and allow fully integrated development tests. So for CPI we have now two options:

1. Stay with the current 2-Tenant CPI Landscape but duplicate the Integrations in the QA system to have separate endpoints for the S/4HANA Dev and QA
  2. Setup a 3rd CPI Tenant defined as the Development tenant

As the price point for the Integration Suite (Standard Edition) according to the SAP Discovery Center is 4.000 Euro / Month I need to collect pros and cons for it. Here is the collection I currently came up with:

Pros for the 3rd Tenant (Option 2):

• Clear System separation
  • No adjustments needed when transporting integrations

Cons against 3rd Tenant (Option 2):

• Developments for the ERP Systems need always be transported to QA to be tested
  • If Developments for ERP Systems are done in the QA Tenant we might have the risk that transported objects are accidentally changed

Looking forward for your input.

Best Regards
Gregor

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you daniel.graversen, sunny.kapoor2, martin.pankraz, apalagin, vadim.klimov and ryan.crosby2 for your helpful answers.

View Entire Topic
AlexDong
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi gregorwolf

I've already saw very good answers here. Let me add some points.

There are no strict rules on CPI mapping architecture as this is a SAAS. Here is some best practice maybe worthy referenced, if only two SAP Integration Suite tenants are there (even only one) while mapping to DEV, QA, PROD backend systems.

1. Create separate integration packages for DEV, QA, PROD
  2. Strictly follow the naming conventions, e.g. path url or artifact ID follows "DEV_***, QA_***, PROD_***"
  3. Make use of the access strategy on integration flow level to make sure different roles have different access
  4. Configure integration flow rather than hard coded for environment related variables, e.g. the backend connection API path, the integration flow https path.
  5. Copy and paste from DEV packages to QA instead of downloading and uploading
  6. Leverage artifact version to make consistent between packages.

I believe there will be more from customers or partners as this is also pretty common scenario.

Welcome to add more.

But the best way will be always spending enough money to save effort on development, operation and maintenance.

Best regards,

Alex