cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSP using Web AS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

I am really intrested to know if we can do JSP using Web AS, I am using Web AS 6.20, but I have heard or read somewhere that from Web AS 6.40, we can do JSP programming in the same fashion as BSP programming ? please correct me !

Secondly if some one known any resource regarding JSP VS BSP please point out the link !

I was searching and came accross the following presentation

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/j2ee for abap programmers webinar.pdf

From slides I come to know that, using Web AS the following technologies can be use vice-versa!

JSP ~ BSP

Servlet ~ BSP controller

EJB ~ BAPI's

It would be nice if some one let me know the relation between the above technologies !

Many thanks!

Marek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Okey friends I come to know now through the following artical that we can do JSP programming using Web AS

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/web as 6.20 jsp demo on eclipse

Now thing is that, is there any artical avaiable which compare both JSP VS BSP, as both programming model can be used vice versa using Web AS!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

What exactly do you want to know? If you can do JSP and servlets on your 6.20 server that has a J2EE engine?

From the article you pointed out then you can.

You just have to use JCo to access the ABAP FM's and BAPI's on the server.

As for comparing the two well that is like comparing ASP and JSP there are good points and bad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

>As for comparing the two well that is like comparing ASP and JSP there are good points and bad!

Well, ASP and JSP , being run on two different plateforms ( .NET and J2EE) cant be substituate for each other (though both can do more of less the same stuff, but by substituate I mean if we have .NET then we have to use ASP, while cant use ASP in J2EE), but in case of JSP and BSP; either one of them can be used in the same environment, now the selection is going to be made ofcourse according to need, and according to a certain criteria ( reliable, performance, interoperability, etc).

So, it would be nice if experts, make few comments on selecting either one of them! or point out a resource if avaiable in this regard!

Forexample comparision can be done on a bases of using BAPI's.

If there is a company using SAP-System and they would like to bring there data on browser, before they might construct a J2EE application connect it with SAP using SAP JCO or JCA (Java Connector Architecture) and use JSP as a view component, but after introduction of Web AS and BSP programming model, now company has an option, and ofcourse the decision would be made on the bases which one is better then the other?

Would be appriciated if some one makes their valueable comments!

Many thanks!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take a look at the weblogs from Thomas Jung and myself, our early weblogs went over several of the benefits of BSP's. Thomas from a ABAP background and myself from a non-ABAP background.

Personally I would go BSP all the way unless you were on the 6.40 NetWeaver platform in which case there are several features available to make good use of the Java side of things.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You say:

but in case of JSP and BSP; either one of them can be used in the same environment

I would argue that this isn't really the case. To me JSP and BSP are just a different (from an environment standpoint) as JSP and ASP. BSP runs not only with the ABAP programming language, but within the ABAP runtime. The ABAP runtime and traditional framework is still quite different from the J2EE environment. They have different infrastructure (dialog work process model, enqueue manager, etc). Although they both run on the WebAS, they run in the different personalities. Believe me, programming for and administering these two personalities, is a very different thing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply!

Ofcourse I do agree with you, the internal processing of ABAP program is differnet than that of Java written program. But by using the same environment I stricklly mean Web AS, If some one has Web AS, he has ofcourse two choices to do the same task,?

I just would like to know, if there any resources available which compare both of them with certain aspects,?

I am not from ABAP backgroud, but I know that in Java, ther are certain tools available which identify the performance of the java written program, or there are number of articals or resouces avaiable which deals the issues such as problem areas for performance in java written program.

It would be nice if you direct me to such a link for BSP programming model as well!

Many thanks!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you take a look at some of the weblogs of Brian McKellar you will see how he was able to monitor and evaluate the performance of his BSP applications.

/people/brian.mckellar/blog/2004/06/16/bsp-performance-measuring-roundtrip-latency

/people/brian.mckellar/blog/2004/06/17/bsp-performance-statistic-records-for-server-latency

/people/brian.mckellar/blog/2004/06/20/bsp-performance-determining-hotspots

/people/brian.mckellar/blog/2003/10/13/bsp-performance-compression

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

If you are looking for some sort of industry standard comparision (such as the http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/index.html#java_pet_store_demo Java Pet Store that is commonly used to compare .Net and Java), I'm afraid you might be out of luck. There is plent of performance documentation both here in SDN and on the Service Marketplace. However look beyond documents on just BSP. Because BSP sits on top of the normal ABAP engine, it has all of ABAP performance and scaleability.

My advice is that performance all has to do with what you are wanting to do with your application. Are you planning to write an application for the Internet that needs to support thousands of simultanious users. Or is application going to be used in an intranet business environment where the number of potential simultanious users is significantly less. Performance can mean many different things in these two environments. It might mean the ability to scale in a cluster, the ability to be Highly Available, the time it takes to create or maintain the code. That is where I think these industry standard analysis fail the average busines application developer. Most of these analysis you find are only geared tward the first situation I described(massive Internet Application). For my company, I was much more interested in how each enviroment responed to the second situation(standard intranet application).

I still recommend the approach that we took, if you have the time. We build a small business application (that was indicitive of the type of applications we wanted to build long term) in ABAP BSP, Java, and .Net. All the data we accessed resided in R/3. We used RFC, the Java Connector and the .Net Connector to access this data respective to the calling platform. We then measured several things such as the time it took to develop, the amount of research needed in each environment. We also measured scalability and performance using our actualy production hardware (not some massively suped up test machine that no one could actually aford anyway). We then found the solution that best matched the resources (technical and personnel) and requirements we had.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi craig,

Thanks for pointing out the weblogs, I am also looking for some weblogs which describes the advantages or disadvantages of using BSP programming model!

Thomas, thanks for the comments, that exactly what I need to do, to compare the BSP programming model with JSP programming model.

Actually I construct a test application, in both BSP and JSP ( JCO + Jboss), which simply calls certain BAPI's (create, update and search the SAP Business Partner and his bank details etc).

Now I need to compare them, as I am from non-abap so I was not sure what kind of accesorries avaible in BSP context to improve the things like performance, scalibility, etc, that's why I was looking forward to have some resources which deal the above mentioned issues!

It would be very nice and if its possible, would you like to share the results of your test, which you and your co. did in order to compare them!

you also mention:

BSP runs not only with the ABAP programming language, but within the ABAP runtime

.... Not sure, but I heard from some where that in some relese of Web AS one can also use Java in BSP ? Please correct me if I am wrong!

Many thanks and so nice of you!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marek,

If your WebAS is configured to run JSP then you can run JSP as well.

Advantage of BSP -> it's ABAP with HTML/DHTML/CSS and JavaSscript, it runs within the ABAP runtime and is scaleable with the system.

Disadvantage of JSP -> it's a 3rd party object that requires a connector and therefore requires extra work on the part of the developer to work with SAP. For example you need data in BSP you can do the programming inside of methods, event handlers, controllers, what not with JSP you have to build a BAPI or Function Module to pass the data to the JSP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Moreover we have HTMLB,PHTMLB,XHMTLB in BSP which reduces our front end efforts a lot.

Naresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HTMLB is also availabe for Java.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

>HTMLB is also availabe for Java.

From where I can download the jar files for HTMLB, to work with java,

Many thanks!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the downloads here on SDN

https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/downloaditem.sdn?res=/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.d... framework 1.3.0.htm

Oh and sorry it's HTMLX not HTMLB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Please correct me If I am wrong!

1) HTMLX also contains the functionality of HTMLB framework?

2) To work with HTMLX we need the SAP Enterprise Portal (EP) version 5 and the related Portal Development Kit (PDK).?

So if I am using Jboss and JCO to connect the SAP system, I cant use this framework in my JSP page ??

Many thanks!

Marek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you need the Portal development kit. Not sure if it contains the HTMLB framework or not.

can you use it in your JSP page, well it's a set of classes in Java so yes, is it easy to do? No! To get it to work you have to copy lots of other jars and everything so in essence I would say no in actuallity it can be done but more trouble than it's worth.