cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in applying filters in a report with merged dimensions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am creating a report with two data providers in WebI. The common dimension from the left query is pulled into the report structure(making it a left join).

I have pulled several measures from the left query and a single measure from the right query(detail query).

When I am applying filter on an object from the left query, the values of the measure from the right query are all turning into NULL.

Please let me know how this may be fixed..Will appreciate a quick help:)

Regards, Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

I need more info. Did you pull in the common dimension from both the queries and merged them? If so try to use the merged dimension as the filter.

Thanks

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Abhishek,

I merged on the common dimensions say, A,B and C and pulled query1.A,query1.B,query1.C so as to achieve results of query1 left join query2.

However, I need to apply filters on unmerged dimension from query1 say, query1.D and a measure from query1 say query1.E which both are not present in query2.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

Instead of using Query1.A, Query1.B and Query1.C use the merged dimension objects. So your table should look like

A     B     C     Query1.D     Query1.E     Query2.F     Query2.G

and if you apply any filter either from Query1 or Query2 you shouldn't be getting NULL values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek!!

I tried using the merged dimension objects as well..however, it again results in NULL values for measure from query2 when I apply filter on any unmerged dimension from query1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also note that this happens only when the unmerged dimension from query1 i.e., query1. D and the measure from query1(on which we are applying the filters) are pulled in the report structure.

When these are not pulled in the report structure and only filters are applied on both..it works fine..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

I just tried the same thing. I pulled in

Query 1 - D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, M1, M2

Query 2 - D1, D2, D3, D4, M3

In my report I have colums

D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 M1 M2 M3 and used D4 as a filter and I am getting right results.

Could you also check the query SQL for SYNCHRONIZATION ERROR for incompatible objects. Other than that I don't know how to help you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thnx Abhishek..

I guess you are right..it works for dimension from query1..did you try a filter on M1/M2 as well..I am still facing issue with filter on a measure.

thnx for all your help..

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I might have found something. Try using a report filter instead of a block filter for the measures. When I tried a block filter for M1 and M3 i get NULL for M3. But when I use a report filter for M1 and M3 the results are fine. I know its weird but I am try to research on the cause and will let you know if I find anything on it. Hope this works for you too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thnx a ton!!! it works..n as i remember I have researched on it earlier..have a full fledged explanation on it..will give it to you:)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glad to hear. Could you please send a mail to abhishekman9@gmail.com on why this is happening.