cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is compression working for NOT hana-optimized info cube in a scale-out system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Guys,

Is compression working for Info Cubes when you are in a scale-out system? Our's is also in a HANA db, sap bw 7.4.

Regards,

Joan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you migrated to HANA database, compression was already removed right? So I think no compression can be done when using HANA database..When you say scale out system, is it another BW system using non-HANA database?

Regards,

Loed    

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loed,

What I was advised is that compression was performed to the loads prior to the Upgrade to 7.4 and migrate to HANA DB. But it was not specified to us that compression was already removed. Our thought was that we will be using HANA DB but all the functionalities we have before are still existing. Is it typical that there are no compression on BW when it is running in HANA DBs?

Scale out system is an architecture where in the DB is flexible to be expanded whenever needed by expanding the db hardware. This is the limitation being pertained in the job log when I try to perform a typical compression on an Info Cube.

Would you know if this is a common limitation when in HANA DB?

Regrds,

Joan

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for confusion..I think compression is still possible, I just checked the MANAGE of infocube..

MANAGE INFOCUBE in NON-HANA DB

MANAGE INFOCUBE in HANA DB

Try the note suggested by Frederic..

1773398:SAP HANA: No compression for scale-out & non-optimized cube

Regards,

Loed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Were you able to perform a successful compression on Info Cubes that are not yet hana-optimized in your system?

Or mostly the one with compression in your system are hana-optimized info cubes?

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry I did not try to compress awhile ago..We migrated our BW from 7.0 to 7.4 SP12 so all objects were migrated to hana-optimized info cubes..

Is your server migrated or fresh from start?

Regards,

Loed

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a migration from oracle to hana.. and upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4.. we did not perform conversion of info cubes to hana optimized cubes, that might be the reason why compression is not happening.. all the references provided here seems to require the object to be hana optimized

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

So how did you do the migration? Converting the infocubes, I think, is required based on the steps of migration..If you did the steps for PRE and POST migration, for sure you will encounter the error about your infocubes if you did not convert them..

Regards,

Loed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently we are not performing the conversion. Might be another team who will do that part. sadly we do not have much visibility. But currently in development, I have not encountered a hana optimized info cube. I am also worried once it is not done, but it is not a required step inour checklist

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

But who did the conversion? You may ask them if converting cubes is really not required since it is part of our checklist when we implemented ours..

About your problem, did you encounter any error message? Did you already raised this to SAP?

Regards,

Loed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here in our project, they only sampled 1 info cube to be converted. I think the priority is just to upgrade and migrate now, then once it is done, they will move forward with conversion.. I find it strange but it seems to be the path here..

yes I did in the job log of the archiving, but I just allowed archiving of uncompressed data for the said cube.. I haven't raised it to SAp as I think this is an internal decision to convert the info cube.. This workaround is working on my end.. but I will keep posted on the conversion of the cubes.. It seems to be a standard process to do it during upgrade and migrate as u also shared.

thanks loed for the advice!

regardsm

joan

striker_wbb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think converting the cube is really one the important steps in order for it to work properly on HANA database..

Just inform us how you resolved this one..

Regards,

Loed

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joan,

It is supposed to work. It seems that there was some issues with compression on this kind of system in 730 (see oss note 1773398).I didn't find any relevant note for the 740.

Did you encounter issues with this functionnality ?

Regards,

Frederic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks we are now looking into the note.. we are still encountering the issue.. it seems we have to convert the info cube to hana-optimized

perskovgaard_jensen
Discoverer
0 Kudos

hi

Did you succeed compressing your standard cubes?

Regards Per

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Per,

No, it is mandatory to convert it to HANA Optimized to successfully perform compression. The main issue why I raised this is actually for NLS implementation for cube, I am facing error when archiving a request that is not compressed. So what we did is we have just ticked the "allow non-compressed data" instead in the data archiving process of the Info Provider.

Our scope did not include converting info prov to hana optimized unfortunately so we can not adjust the object accordingly.

Regards,

Joan

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joan,

What kind of compression do you refer to? The classic InfoCube compression for fact table (i.e. F-table to E-table)? What are you trying to achieve?

Best regards,

Sander

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was supposedly going to compress the F table. But the system won't allow me and in the job log is states that there are no compression on a scale-out system