cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of the xCelsius and SQL Server 2005 database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I downloaded the xCelsius Engage for evaluation.

I need that the dashboard data are sincronize with a SQL Server database always that the flash file is loaded. My questions are:

The Engage version can do the synchronization at runtime? If yes, How? If possible, send me an example or tutorial.

If the synchronization can not be implements on Engage version, what is the xCelsius version that I need? If possible, send me an example or tutorial.

Thanks, Marcelo Camarate

Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 18, 2009 5:15 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcelo,

First, sorry to jump in this discussion.

This is regarding your question about a product which contains both Xcelsius Engage and Crystal Reports. In fact, there is a bundle product which includes Xcelsius Engage and Crystal Reports called "Crystal Reports 2008 Visual Advantage"

This bundle is simply positioned as a premium edition of Crystal Reports 2008, it combines the capabilities of Crystal Reports 2008 and Xcelsius Engage 2008 to deliver the best on-report interactive scenario models and data visualizations.

Hope I was helpful.

Regards,

Othman

>

> Hi Bill,

>

> Thanks for your quick replay. But, in the SAP site I found two things.

>

> First is that the price difference between Engage and Server versions is too large (US$ 900 -> US$ 7,500), which for a small company like mine, it is impossible to acquire the Server version. Our core business is systems integration, then the xCelsius is just to development dashboards for our customers.

>

> The second is that, apparently, the version Engage permits the creation of an only one Web Service Connection, and I will need at least two. If this is true, there is some intermediate cost option?

>

> Finally, I heard that SAP have a product that contains both the xCelsius Engage as Crystal Report. If this is true, where can I find more information about this product?

>

> Thanks, Marcelo Camarate

>

> Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 19, 2009 3:44 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick replay. But, in the SAP site I found two things.

First is that the price difference between Engage and Server versions is too large (US$ 900 -> US$ 7,500), which for a small company like mine, it is impossible to acquire the Server version. Our core business is systems integration, then the xCelsius is just to development dashboards for our customers.

The second is that, apparently, the version Engage permits the creation of an only one Web Service Connection, and I will need at least two. If this is true, there is some intermediate cost option?

Finally, I heard that SAP have a product that contains both the xCelsius Engage as Crystal Report. If this is true, where can I find more information about this product?

Thanks, Marcelo Camarate

Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 19, 2009 3:44 PM

former_member963121
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcelo:

Thanks for your reply

For you questions:

1.Yes, there is price gap between u201CEngagedu201D and u201CEngaged Serveru201D versions; under u201CEngaged Serveru201D It provides more functionalities and data connections.

2.Yes, for u201CEngagedu201D version it only allows user to create ONE WS connection. Currently there is No intermediate cost option for this.

3.Currently there is no product that contains both Xcelsius Engaged and Crystal Report. But there is integration between the two products. The normal process are

a.You create a swf Model by Xcelsius, which consumes Crystal Report data under u201CData->Connections->Add->Crystal Report Data Consumeru201D (Engaged version also only allow create ONE "Crystal Report Data Consumeru201D)

b.Open Crystal Report to import the model swf file and build the data binding.

c.You can view the swf dashboard in the crystal report.

For more information you can refer to user manual.

Let me know if you have any more concerns!

Thanks!

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill, Thanks for you reply.

Bad news you gave me. Because, searching the web, I found a Business Objects product called Crystal Xcelsius version 4.5 which accepted more than one Web Service Connection and its cost was around US$ 500. I don't know what was the reason to SAP change this, but, certainly, this action isn't a good strategy to solution integrator companies like mine.

But, rules is rules, no? So, I have one more question.

In Engaged Server has the software "Flynet Viewer Web Service Generator" to build web services, but in the version Engaged no. If my company acquire the Engaged version (that is more probable in reason of the cost), I can use the Flynet with it? If yes, how to get the Flynet? If not, you know other software that does what Flynet do to replace it?

Thanks, Marcelo Camarate

Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 20, 2009 3:05 PM

Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 20, 2009 3:08 PM

Edited by: Marcelo Camarate on May 20, 2009 7:06 PM

former_member963121
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Marcelo:

Thanks for your reply

For your questions:

1.For Xcelsius version 4.5, there are 3 different editions (Standard, Professional, Designer), and only Designer edition supports Web Service Connection. The edition you talked about which cost around USD $500 should be Professional edition.

2.There will be no Flynet in Xcelsius Engaged version. Only Server Engaged version support Flynet. Sorry, I am not quite sure with other software which can replace Flynet. You can do some more investigation.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks!

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

It isn't that I wanted, but I don't have any more questions about this.

Thanks, Marcelo Camarate

former_member963121
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcelo:

Here is some information you can refer to on how Flynet work with Xcelsisu Engaged Server. Hope it helps:)

https://businessobjects.webex.com/ec0600l/eventcenter/enroll/register.do?siteurl=businessobjects&for...

Also if you need some special package binding on Xcelsius which can provide you work needs, feel free to contact Xcelsius sale person directly and get more supports.

Thanks!

Bill

former_member963121
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcelo:

Thanks for your interests on Xcelsius!

For Xcelsius, It provides some methods to retrieve data from SQL database.

1.You can create a web service to retrieve data from SQL database yourself then use u201CData->Connection->Add->Web Service Connectionu201D to configure web service mapping for your scenario. (This function is supported by Xcelsius Engaged Version)

2.If you donu2019t want to create web service yourself, I suggest you can use reporting service provided by SQL server data base. In Xcelsius version u201CEngaged Serveru201D and u201CEnterpriseu201D, it provides component named u201CReporting Service Buttonu201D which can retrieve data from Reporting Server directly. For more detail information you can refer to the user manual document.

For Xcelsius u201CEngaged Serveru201D version you can download it from http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

Hope it helps. Let me know if you any future questions!

Thanks!

Bill