cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating BW into ECC 5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a small customer who wants to upgrade from 4.6C to ECC 5.0 and bring in Portal and BW at the same time. They want to keep their hardware landscape to a minimum.

One way is to have all their BW functionality within ECC 5.0? Does anyone have ECC 5.0 up and running with their BW integrated? What are the isues? e.g. can you restore BW within ECC 5.0 without the need of restoring the complete system? They also want to have the Portal on the same server as well.

Cheers

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

<b>It is indeed a possibly to run embedded BI within mySAP ERP 2004 (ECC).</b> There are obviously some planning and organizational pros and cons in having a single instance with both ERP and BI functionalities - but no technical limitation. The cons are reduced for smaller implementations as there is more likelihood that coordination between the ERP and BI team for maintenance would be easier. Larger companies tend to have more complex multi-phase rollouts and coordination can be a challenge.

The main benefit for small implementations is that you have one single back-up/recovery and disaster recovery option. Being one DB and one instance the back-up is synchronized. This can be a big pro to help manage admin costs.

Unfortunately there is not one answer on whether you should do this or install BI on separate servers. Each customer situation is unique so it will be a decision you have to make on a case by case basis.

It is possible to also embedded the SAP NetWeaver Portal with mySAP ERP 2004 (ECC)

If you plan to use an embedded SAP NetWeaver scenario, you currently need to apply to SAP to use this combination. The process and application questionnaires are documented in SAP note <b>855534</b> (soon to be released). It is a project solution that provides support to customers who use these options. This is due to the fact that only a small number of customers have used this option so far and we wish to monitor and work directly with customers until we have a larger number of customers in production.

I hope this helps,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

I don't think we should put all the systems in the same systems. Although technically it might be feasible to do it, I am not sure of the implications.

I can understand that its for a small customer, in my opinion we shouldn't do it. What we have done is to put BW and MDM on the same system and we have not faced any issues till now.

Regards,

Ravi