cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation problem on Solaris 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are trying to install j2sdk 1.4.2_13 on solaris server zone. I have downloaded j2sdk-1_4_2_13-nb-5_0-solsparc-ml.bin

But when I try to execute this:

#./j2sdk-1_4_2_13-nb-5_0-solsparc-ml.bin

It gives me error: The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag

Tried with -console:

The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: console is not supported (10

01) (403)

WARNING: could not delete temporary file /tmp/ismp001/2599368

WARNING: could not delete temporary file /tmp/ismp001/6183226

WARNING: could not delete temporary file /tmp/ismp001/1222839

Then tried with -silent:

This time command just completed w/o any output at all.

Please suggest what can I do?

regards, Sean.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sean,

Have you exported server display to your desktop ?

Any kind of X window/ GUI on UNIX generally requires that we export the desktop alongwith some tunneling software.

I use Hummingbird for running GUI based programs on UNIX.

the exporting DISPLAY goes like(this one is for AIX):

export DISPLAY <your desktop ip address>:0

Also,

/tmp make sure the userid you are using has full permissions to it.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Siddhesh,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried using X Manager GUI for my Solaris. But when I double click the j2sdk-1_4_2_13-nb-5_0-solsparc-ml.bin file to run it, it simply denies saying:

The filename "j2sdk-1_4_2_13-nb-5_0-solsparc-ml.bin" indicates that this file is of type "Unknown type". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type "Shell script". If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the correct extension for "Shell script", then open the file normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application for the file.

Also /tmp has full authorizations:

drwxrwxrwt 7 root sys 557 Jun 24 08:34 tmp

I dont have Hummingbird for X11 forwarding with this client. Do I have any other option??

regards, Sean.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sean,

Don't you think you know it for yourself that this file is safe to install ???

Just run it from X Windows.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Siddhesh,

I do know it's safe

The issue is how?? Because it only gives me option to Cancel on dialog box that displays the message. And I can't find application with which I can "Open with" .bin file.

regards, Sean.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sean,

In your X windows, start a Xterm terminal (which resembles Windows command prompt cmd.exe).

Switch to the directory where you have downloaded the file and run the file as you were trying to run earlier.

Since you are logged on into X Windows, it will automatically start the GUI.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Siddhesh. Yes that helped. I also am able to run it from console now using X11

Answers (0)