cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of the Application Server on the Appliance ?

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

within the next weeks we are starting our BW on Hana Project.  Since the availability of BW 7.4 it is possible to install the Application-Server on  the Appliance. Has anyone of you experiences with this type of deployment .

What are the pros and cons of this type of Installation compared to the classical deployment in which the Application Server runs on a different hard ware.

Thank you in advance Christian 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Advantage in installing SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP on one Server is

-- reducing the HW costs.

--Reduction in TCO in terms of single server maintenace,backups,administration,etc.

Disadvantage could be :

-- currently this one server installation supports only the single node server,for BW on HANA better performance SAP recommends min.3 nodes check the Note:1702409

--If your data volume is really huge or grows in rapid speed then check with you hardware partner does the single node can handle that data volume size/Growth.

I have listed out these options blindly without considering your landcape and your expectation .I hope my answers helps you.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

first of thank you for your Information and the note both is very helpfull.

We will start with a two system landscape with different sizes the test and development environment will be a 256 GB Hana the productive environment will be a 512 GB Hana both  hana boxes can be upgraded to 1 TB.

Another aspect is, that we start almost from Zero. We use only an internal BW for the APO.

The decision for the BW on Hana installation was not due to our data volume in our ERP System.

It was a strategic decision to gain experience with the newest Technologie  so that we are prepared for future step's such as putting the Suite on HANA and last but not the least run all used Applications on one HANA .

Right know we are talking about a data volume  of about 700 GB non Unicode in our sap source Systems ERP & APO. The Datavolume will definitely grow as soon as we integrate third Party Systems as source System eg. machine data etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Considering the fact of getting experience with newest technologies then the option
SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP on one Server is idle.Because in this case you want to keep the TCO very less because you  dont look for an immediate ROI .

Coming to your point "Running all applications on HANA" this is little tricky because in SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP on one Server the HANA requires additive sizing.Over that if you want to run multiple application on the same server then you have to consider those data during the sizing.And this may affect your system performance.

check the note: 1953429 - SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP on one Server

One more point on running mutiple application on one HANA( which is NW & HANA single server) if you want to upgarde your NW system then the other application which access this HANA server will get affected even though the other application has no link to NW.

Considering your next point on volume of data that can be handled in a node, check PAM http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-52522

Are you more confused now after reading my points   ......

To conclude for intial learning purpose or for smaller data volumes or for simple landscape the "SAP HANA and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP on one Server is good option.

If your doubts are still not cleared then please let me know

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

0 Kudos

Hi

thank you  once again.

The moving all applications on the same of the landscape is a mid to longterm goal according to the SAP Roadmap and I believe some customer succes stories ;-).

The most important things are now to start our Project an realize almost each request which has been posted by the different departments :-).

Thanks & regards

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Yes you just kick start it and you will enjoy HANA for sure .

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Answers (0)