cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of BOXI r3.1 on a Database Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm in the process of archtecting a BO environment for a project where it is suggested by some (who are not familiar with BO) to have the BOXI Web application installed on the same Oracle DB server that it will be reporting from. I know that there are always constraints on projects to consolidate the use of servers which I have a lot of empathy with; but to do this for BO, I'm not too sure that this is the best way to go. What is SAPs position in regards to supporting such a set up?

Cheers - B

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best method is to install the BOXI Web application on a different server from the Oracle DB. It is beneficial in the long run.

Besides servers aren't that expensive these days

Former Member
0 Kudos

Business Objects requires an Application Server as part of its stack, which in the default intall is Apache Tomcat.

I don't believe it is ever advised to co-host application servers with database servers on the same machine due to resource contention issues.

If you still insisted co-hosting you would only be able to do it on a non MS 64 bit OS as you would not be able to address sufficient memory on a 32 bit OS for all of the services.

(The 3GB and PAE switches in windows are not recommended with BO due to the contention with printer drivers when generating PDF views of reports.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I already believed that BO should be a separate stack from the DB it's reporting from. This was a great 'sanity' check to help me champion the projects initial recommendations. Cheers B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

it's all a matter of load and ressources, rendering reports or dashboard or any otjer kind of BI object will use ressources, in term of CPU, memory, and even disk space, so as mentionned it is supported, but not recommended, you'd better think about splitting the load from the beginning of your project.

You have to know that your BOE system will contain webapp servers, and native backend servers, and all those will be using ressources. The closest (from a network point of view) to the reporting DB you are, the best it is for sure, but running everything on the same hardware is not recommended for real production systems.

On the other end, your BOE system will need its own databases (at least one for the system repository, and maybe another one for the auditing DB), those ones could be hosted on your existing DB server, that would make sense.

Regards;

Lionel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Technically there are no constraints and one can go ahead to install web applications on a shared machine. This is also supported. However, as a best practice it is advised to keep each stack separate.

Thanks,

Subhodeep