Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install sybase 15.7 over 15.0.3

suznCB
Participant
0 Kudos

Dears,
kindly note we have two servers: sybase ase 15.7 and sybase 15.0.3

I need to upgrade the server which holds sybase ase 15.0.3 to ase 15.7, I read about that and I will do the following steps:
as I will install ase 15.7 over existing 15.0.3:
1- shut down all services: sybase sql server, sybase bck server, sybase xp server.
2- use setup.exe for 15.7
3- start the server : $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/install/startserver
4- select @@version it should be 15.7

then I will load dump file for mydatabase taken from 15.7 not from 15.0.3 , so no problem with loading,
I want to ask somethings:
- Are the steps which I listed enough, or I missed something??
- also I think I should load master db (also from 15.7) to get all my configures and logins, is this right??
- also are there postinstalling tasks I have to do, please advice.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

suznCB
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much

You have made everything clearer.

suznCB
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your explanation.

kindly let me mention why I was asking for loading master db, maybe it is a special case related to me, cause the new dump for my db taken from 15.7 has some changes over my db on the 15.0.3 version, i.e there are some new objects & indexes (they will be located in master..sysobjects , master..sysindexes), so am I in the right way???

something else I think to do after load mydb dump, is to issue update index statistics for all tables, I know the last statistics are stored in the dump, but because I load this dump on new machine, what do you advice about this point??

As you suggested (with all thanks): I will take a backup of 15.0.3/$SYBASE directory,

and I will install the new version over this directory (15.0.3/$SYBASE) but kindly note it is empty, because I will remove its content after taking a backup of it, so I won't need to update RUN_ file, will I ???

please excuse me cause I am new to sybase,

Last question, can we say this way is smoother than using the following utilities: pre-upgrade, upgrade, or this is another thing completely different???

Thanks in Advance

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your explanation.

kindly let me mention why I was asking for loading master db, maybe it is a special case related to me, cause the new dump for my db taken from 15.7 has some changes over my db on the 15.0.3 version, i.e there are some new objects & indexes (they will be located in master..sysobjects , master..sysindexes), so am I in the right way???

something else I think to do after load mydb dump, is to issue update index statistics for all tables, I know the last statistics are stored in the dump, but because I load this dump on new machine, what do you advice about this point??

As you suggested (with all thanks): I will take a backup of 15.0.3/$SYBASE directory,

and I will install the new version over this directory (15.0.3/$SYBASE) but kindly note it is empty, because I will remove its content after taking a backup of it, so I won't need to update RUN_ file, will I ???

please excuse me cause I am new to sybase,

Last question, can we say this way is smoother than using the following utilities: pre-upgrade, upgrade, or this is another thing completely different???

Thanks in Advance