cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input controls Webi Setting User Security in CMC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Input controls appear to be a very useful to add to reports. However we are struggling with a security issue in allowing feature access to users. Our security is designed to allow report users to run reports only and only a small number of writers and editors can update or change the contents of reports.

We have tried almost very control in the CMC but cannot seem to allow users to access input control without assigning them edit rights which are also sufficient rights to substantially edit the output of report, to reformat the layout and remove data from the views. We would like to set this up so users could filter the report output using the input control without being able to edit other elements of the report.

Can any one advise how this could be achieved in CMC security please

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am facing a different issue in Web Intelligence Report:

The Element button is not active in linking tab. Anyone having any idea about this?

Thanks,

Dinesh

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For this problem you should please create a new thread,

Thanks

Simone Caneparo

SAP SCN Moderator

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had the same issue and seemed to solve the problem by updating the rights in Access Levels

Inside Application>Web Intelligence>Specific Rights For Web Intelligence I ticked Enable Interactive HTM Viewing (if license permits) to set status as granted (green tick).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried both suggestions that you have given. I even gave my test user "Full Control" at the Manage - Top Level Security. Then I created a temporary Access Level with access to all Web Intellegence content/application rights and gave access to everything under general rights.  Right now my test user can copy, move, and delete the report, but cant use input controls... And remember, under "User Rights" for this report, it lists my test user as having "Full Control"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had the same issue after implementing the changes; I suggest you reboot the server, reboot the local pc as well and try using a different browser.

oliver_uy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

You can create a new Access Level and Limit the Access Rights in the Web Intelligence Application. this way you can let users able to the input controls without editing the whole report.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This "Input control" issue has been driving me insane all morning. I am working with a test account and have tried just about everything to allow this user to use the input controls on a WebI report. My last ditch effort to make this work was to grant this user "Full Control" to the report (Report name is Roll Forward) and still no luck. Also i granted "Full Control" to three other groups that I created. The user is a member of all the groups, no luck. Now if i add the user to the Administrators group, it works. This makes no sense seeing that now all the groups/users to this report have the same level of access???

Any ideas anyone??

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is what I did, and it worked. Allocate VIEW on demand access to the FOLDER or report level in the Manage - top level security tab in CMC. Then you must enable report formating at the Webi application level. You may allow or restrict certain specific objects or formatting tools like breaks, doc summary, query edit, etc. Hope it helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wao, can't believe this error still persists. We're using the latest version BI 4.0 SP4 FP3. Input Control is much more intuitive, easier and user-friendlier than doing a refresh and choosing multiple selections at the prompt level. I tried to implement access at the Folder level but not successful. 

Is there a fix out there without granting end users design mode access??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Greetings.

Were you able to set up the security to enable users only to filter using "Input Controls" with out granting them the edit rights?

We are exactly in the same situation as you were and are looking for an solution.

Thanks,

Prasanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We did not want to add another layer of right complexity to handle input controls, so we made the policy straitforward :

A. To create, modify or delete input controls, user need to have edit rights on document (modifying input control means that user can change input control settings)

B. Any user with the rights to view report content can change input control selection

BTW, when you save document (if you have the rights to do so), current input controls selection is also saved.

Hope that helps,

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We must be missing some thing as no matter what setting we try in the CMC we cannot get report users to vary the selection of data through input controls enless they have report editing rights.

For example if we have data indicating we have four regions and the report input control allows users to select one of the four regions to filter the report output those radio buttons to select the region are greyed out unless the user has editing access only the selection set but the previous report editor can be used to filter the report.

So if your statement against item B ("B. Any user with the rights to view report content can change input control selection") is correct can you explain what we are missing to get the system to work as you describe rathet than all the choices being geyed out.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There might be something wrong then. Could you get in touch with the technical support to dig this further?

I was wondering besides if your viewing users had filtering rights on report ( Interactive - Reporting : create and edit report filters and/or Interactive - Left pane : enable document structure and filters )?

Which WebI version & client are you using?

Hope that helps,

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi been back and relooked at this once again. We have set a test security group container up with a single test member to allow us to set individual settings and check them.

When under application Web intelligence the Interactive Reporting create and edit filters and Interactive left pane enable document structures and filters are set then the input control values appear but any attempt to set them to any of the possible values on a radio button results in an error message that the user does not have editing writes.

If one then sets editing rights the input filters work but the user can then change the query, content and layout of the report which is not what we want to achieve. Happy to raise this with support but this feels to me like a bug if the behaviour you expect does not work without adding user editing rights. Please advise me if you still want this to be logged with support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry your other queries

We are using Xi 12.1.0

IE8 in infoview is the user client

OS is XP SP3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts

Is there a solution for this issue by now?

I'm using XI 3.1 Edge SP 3

If its possible to change values of the input controls without granting users the right to edit the whole report, please post the needed rights to do so...

Thanks in advance

Greetings

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

this thread was quite old however you are doing the right thing by asking this question.

Unfortunately for XI3.1 this implementation doesn't exist, the good news is that it in BI4.0 there is a specific right "create and edit input controls" which allows to do so.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Simone

Former Member
0 Kudos

So is there anyway for report viewer (read only) users to access/utilize Input Controls in 3.1   This ofcourse assuming they will NOT have Edit Right access.

jeff_robasse
Explorer
0 Kudos

Just a FYI,

I'm using 4.0 SP2 patch 12, and I see the 'create and edit input controls" security option and have made a custom access level based on "View on Demand" and it still gives the "Your security profile does not include permission to edit this document  (Error: ERR_WIS_30252)"  So far it looks like they need to be able to actually edit the document to use the Input Controls.  Going to keep trying.

jeff_robasse
Explorer
0 Kudos

Until I Granted access for Application / Web Intelligence - Reporting Enable Formatting, the Input Controls would throw the ERR_WIS_30252 error above.  Now the Design button is active. Oh Joy.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is normal, if you don't grant report formatting rights you would get that error.

Did https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1603652 help or you found this by yourself?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are also facing the same problem , i am using 4.0 with all the latest patches installed.

The project is going live this week and i found this error at this moment. The users are given only view permission and tried all the rights in CMC but no luck.

App/Web Intelligence Reporting Enable formatting  access is even not working in my case.

jeff_robasse
Explorer
0 Kudos

With "View" only permission it doesnt seem like you would be able to change any input control if they require refreshing the data.  I would think view on demand would be needed.  I might be wrong but I don't think input controls are like Crystal report filters where the data is returned and filtered, I think the data is refreshed each time which would require an access level that allowed data refresh.

I'm still new to this development so I might have it wrong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm from my understanding i feel that all the data is brought and then filtered , anyhow i gave the option of refresh reports data, and refresh LOV's

There is a new option in 4.0 create and edit input controls, though i selected it there is no luck.

jeff_robasse
Explorer
0 Kudos

I think you're correct on loading the data once and then using input controls to "filter" the data. I guess Webi still treats them as refreshing type security actions.