cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hyperlink to a exe with arguments

0 Kudos

I have a hyperlink to a local exe and need to pass in 2 parameters. When i view the report in CR 2016 editor, the hyperlink works and passes the parameters. When I run the program in the Crystal Reports Viewer, inside of another application, clicking on the link does nothing. If I remove the parameters, the link works inside of Crystal Reports Viewer, but i need to pass in the 2 arguments.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

0 Kudos

Also note that this all works fine in Crystal Reports 2016. (the report editor program, not the viewer). When I do a a View, Preview to view the report, hyperlinks with parameters function properly.

0 Kudos

For testing, i am using this URL with fixed parameters, but the report will use a formula to set the 2nd parameter based on report data When clicking on this link, nothing happens. You can test this yourself by replacing the exe program with a simple bat file that echos the parameters.

C:\aht_inspect_records.exe "PN" 4454

When the URL is just C:\aht_inspect_records.exe, the hyperlink works fine and the program is called with no parameters.

0 Kudos

Can you post an example of the hyperlink you use?

0 Kudos

Because you are publishing your report with saved data to the WEB and it's not capable of refreshing the data.

Just to be clear, there is a product called Crystal Reports Viewer 2016, that's what I am referring to.

If it's the Windows or WEB form Viewers they can prompt for parameters, all depends if the DB is available and if default values were saved.

0 Kudos

Don- We are not publishing to the web, the report is viewed on the workstation, using Crystal Reports viewer 2016 application, running on Windows locally. There is complete access to the database, but Crystal Reports does not need to access the DB for this purpose. The hyperlink is linking to a local executable program, passing 2 arguments. When the program is hyperlinked with no arguments, the link is active and the program is called. But when arguments are added to the hyperlink, the hyperlink is ignored and it cannot be clicked.

0 Kudos

If it's SAP's Crystal Reports Viewer then no you can't. It's has No DB connection and used only for Viewing reports with saved data.

Link to CR Viewer:

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/SAP+Crystal+Reports+Viewer+Downloads/

If it's the CR for VS Viewer then once again you need to discuss this with the makers of that software to see if they support it.

Don

0 Kudos

Thank you Don. But why does it work in Crystal Reports viewer with no parameters, but not when you there is a parameter present ? That does not make sense to me.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See list of 3rd-party Crystal Reports viewers here. At least one of these viewers provides a solution for your use case.

For example, one of these viewers lets you launch another application and pass parameters to it by double-clicking a report section that contains a Crystal formula that provides the information about the exe you wish to launch and the parameters you wish to pass to it.

0 Kudos

I am also testing using the standard Crystal Reports viewer stand alone version and it does not work if the hyperlink has a parameter. It works fine without any parameters. Is there a special way to format the link to include parameters ?

0 Kudos

You need to ask the makers of the other program to enable that ability, if it can be in their app.

0 Kudos

They are using Crystal Reports Viewer.