cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Crystal 11 to prompt users to login?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: tyeung@mjhs.org

CA Forum: General

I wrote a crystal 11 report and sent it to my co-workers. When they run the report they are not being asked to login to the database. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,Tak

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That was it! I setup a new connection and removed the old one and it's now prompting for password every time.Thanks!Tak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: V361

When you build the connection there are options.

Enter Connection String

Select this option to connect to your data source by passing an ODBC connection string directly to the ODBC Driver Manager. This option allows you to connect to a data source through ODBC without first creating a DSN (so long as the connection string provides all relevant server information).

Connection String

Enter an ODBC connection string that contains all attribute/value pairs (separated by semi-colons) that are required in order to connect successfully to your data source through ODBC. Then click Finish.

Note: If you include your database password in the connection string, the information is saved with your report and is consequently visible to any other Crystal Reports user who opens your report in the designer.

Check your database and/or ODBC driver documentation for a complete list of attribute/value pairs that may be required. To view an example of the attribute/value pairs relevant to your data source, first use the ODBC Data Source Administrator to create a File DSN that allows you to connect to your data source. Save the File DSN to your local drive, and open the resultant text file (with a .dsn extension) in a text editor such as Notepad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All the settings are the same as in your message. Is there a setting to bypass security within Crystal 11? I don't have this problem in Crystal 9 using the same ODBC connection and settings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check your ODBC connections, you are likely using system dsn. pull up the odbc connection, click on the connection name, select configure, click next, you should be on the SQL server DSN configuration page, I have the "With SQL server...." option selected, the "Connect to SQL server to obtain default settings...." checked, a login id, but no password. That makes my users log in to connect to the database. If you have not created a password for the SQL table, you will need to do that, and gran that password the option to select (Depending on the report, you may need to modify there rights) Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I login initially when I first created the report but am not being asked subsequently. Yes, they can run the report without logging in or have Crystal prompt them to login. The report is connected to SQL 2000 database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a few questions... Do you have to login to run the report ?, can they run the report without logging in ?. What type of database connection did you build ?.