cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to search SAP Cloud Application Community for a specific Q ?

Suchita92
Participant

Hi,

I will be very greatful if someone from SAP or community mentor can advise how to search a particular community for a particular question - which is really simple thing to do in any forum but somehow seems impossible in the new community.

what we always used do in any forum befoe posting a question ? - we search the forum for similar questions & threads , right ?

I'll give a simple example to show how impossible it is to do this in the new community -

Suppose I want to know "how to delete a custom field" in SAP Cloud Application studio.

So the straight forward way is, go to Cloud Application Studio Forum and search in that forum for Q/A with phrase "how to delete a custom field".

Now in new community - we do not have forums but have topics right ? so first I go to Answes.SAP.Com - there are 25 million answers at this very moment of posting the question. Now to filter the answers for SAP Cloud application studio, I select the "Populat Tags -> view More -> SAP Cloud Application studio, then 25 Million results reduce to some 5500 which is great ! but can this result be further dropped down to my search phrase "how to delete a custom field" ? NO.

I can't search anymore in these 5500 results if there is any qustion asked about 'Deleting Custom Field' - Ideally, as an end user, I am already in correct topic with correct filer on, so now if I should just type my question in the search box, I would expect it to show the result from my filtered list - but NO, it still shows you results from all the 25 millions ! and guess what , on the search-result page, there is no filter (forget advance filtes but even simple filters) .

See the screenshot 1 - it shows I am on all the answers from SAP Cloud application studio tag

but as soon as I type my phrase , I get results from not my filtered pool, but from all answers pool. See Screenshot 2.

This is ridiculous !! so either this new layout is supposed to make your life harder or I am doing something seriously wrong.

Therefore Can anyone tell me how can i search the phrase "How to delete custom field" only for answers from SAP Cloud Application Studio ??

Many thanks in Advance.

- Suchita

P.S. - I have already check the Getting started, asking Questions, finding Answer materials and none of it helps on this simple thing !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

claudiapacheco
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

We launched a new search experience that allows you to search questions tagged with SAP Cloud Application. Visit this link https://community.sap.com/search/?by=updated&ct=qa&mt=67837800100800006741 and let us know what you think.

For more information about the search capabilities, check the announcement in the What's New page https://community.sap.com/resources/what-is-new

Suchita92
Participant
0 Kudos

Excellent Progress. Not only the ability to search within a topic but also we now have filters to further apply on search-result.

Thank you so much for making this happen!!

Regards

Suchita

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jelena
Active Contributor

Coincidentally, similar question has already been asked and answered in the "SAP Community" tag. 🙂 I've just stumbled upon that and your question today while simply browsing the SAP Community tag Q&A, which I bookmarked in my browser. Otherwise I have no idea how I'd found it, honestly.

Search on SCN was never really good, in my personal opinion. Even though Veselina's answer in the other question does provide a solution, I still got pretty decent results on Google simply by including the tag name in search. Google -> delete a custom field Cloud Application studio site:sap.com -> this answered question is a top result.

Hope this helps.

Suchita92
Participant

Thanks jelena.perfiljeva2 , I appreciate finding time to reply to my question.

Honestly, we need a solution to this and I am sure all necesarry stuff is present in the backend , its only need to be brought onto UI.

Once again thanks for sharing that workaround thread, its too cumbersome as you correctly mentioned. However, your google search with using site: is incredible. I always do google search first and it was bringing me answers from answers.sap.com. Using site: with sap.com is something I will be trying always 🙂 .

Do we have something like Idea Place where this can be highlighted so that SAP can take some improvement actions ? Or as a Mentor if you can voice this to SAP, it will be much awesome !!

Best regards

Suchita

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

suchita.phulkar - you will definitely enjoy Veselina's blog on the search subject, I think there is actually a custom Google search available for SCN. Make sure to read the blog comments too.

I have no leverage with the SCN team more than any other Community member, sorry. Idea Place is gone and I believe we were asked to use the same SAP Influence website that is used for any customer projects. I have no details on that, might want to search (bwahaha! 🙂 ).

However, this issue is not new, so I don't believe this is not resolved due to lack of awareness. Google search always worked for me but I suspect this will become more of an issue going forward with so many variations of SAP products.

mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Suchita,

thanks for sharing your thoughts, we'll have a look at this.

Meanwhile, if the results don't show the question you are after, it could be that this question has not been asked in the community yet. Please feel free to ask your question here: https://answers.sap.com/questions/ask.html?primaryTagId=67837800100800006741

Best regards

Mynyna

Suchita92
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mynyna for looking into this. Hope SAP can improve the experience.

By the way, we can never know if the question was never asked or what simply because there is no functionality that allows to search a fortum/topic for specific phrase/questions. Had this functionality been there & I get back results as "No results" then its conclusive. Presently , it still search from 25 million answers & provides me answers for similar questions from all topics which I am not interested and impracticle to go through 5000+ answers despite the topic of my interest was applied in the filters.....this doesn't make any sense. It is a basic fucntionality on Community Forums - Ability to search within a Forum. Not sure How did SAP miss that when it was first rule before posting a question to search within Forum in OLD SCN (miss it alot) !

I understand that I can always Post the question - but I want to do that if i can search the forum and doesn't find a matching or closly related thread.

Thanks,

Suchita

Jelena
Active Contributor

Hi Mynyna, I'd urge you to also look at this question, which raises the same issue. Even though it's answered, the proposed solution is a rather cumbersome workaround.

I suspect this will start becoming more and more of an issue because of continued spread of SAP applications / products. At some point, it would not be feasible to come up with a unique search string to find the relevant answers. And finding Q&A that are not relevant at all is very annoying.

Posting a new question would mean that the person would have to wait for an answer, which is not guaranteed. And repeated questions are not likely to continue getting answers again and again. It's already been a problem here which, sadly, led to withdrawal of many active contributors from the Community. This issue is not unique to SCN, I can see it in every online forum that is not run by paid staff. Ignoring it would be most unwise, in my opinion.

former_member186338
Active Contributor

During migration to new Community with tags it was reasonable not to provide search limited by tag - all old questions were without tags. Now, after archive migration to tags it's the right time to introduce search within group of tags!

Suchita92
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi mynyna.chau ,

Any luck on considering making search within a topic ?

Why this is not being considered ? - any specific reasons ?

Keen to know.

Thanks,

Suchita