cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Service Pack & Patch in sequence ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Currently my AIX machine is running BOBI v4 SP02 Patch 11.

May I know the proper way to upgrade to SP06 Patch 2 ?

Below are 4 possibility techniques :-

1st - Uninstall SP02 Patch 11

2nd - Install SP06 (downloaded from Installations and Upgrades)

3rd - Install SP06 Patch 2 (downloaded from Support Packages and Patches)

OR

1st - Uninstall SP02 Patch 11

2nd - Install SP06 Patch 2 (downloaded from Support Packages and Patches)

OR

1st - Install SP06 (downloaded from Installations and Upgrades)

OR

1st - Install SP06 Patch 2 (downloaded from Support Packages and Patches)

Kindly advise. Thx in advance...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Rahul you are right, it is important that you install SP04 at first and then SP06 and after that you can install Patch 2.

It is possible that you uninstall the older support packages (SP). But please do that after installing your current patch release you need. That means after you have a running system with SP06 Patch 2 you can uninstall SP02 and SP04 and SP02 Patch11. You find a patch management guide here:

http://bobj.sapbiblog.com/2012/01/28/patch-management-in-sap-business-objects-4-0/

Best,

Benni

former_member249128
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Benny,

It is not correct that you can uninstall older patches after installing the latest ones. DO NOT attempt this. This is corrupt the installation of BI 4.0.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

thanks for your reply. You should check the release notes of course because the Support Package does not automatically include all Patches from Support Package release before. But in my installation it works without issues. I installed SP05 and uninstalled SP04, after that I installed SP06 and uninstalled SP05. The last thing I've done was installing Patch2 for SP06 and of course I did not uninstall SP06! - THis is working without any issues for me...

Best,

Benni

former_member249128
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

This is logically possible but not recommended at all. For instance, the base uninstaller may delete some necessary libraries which are required to keep the system functional.

Regards,

Rahul

former_member190781
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But why would you uninstall the patches when you dont need to?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, that's a good aspect. Thanks for that reccommendation. But normally the Support Packages should contain the previous patches and support packages and the newest versions of libraries. That's the reason for my doing... But I think I will never do this again if you do not recommend that.

Thanks,

Benni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, the main reason for me was the disc space. I think the client installations are worser because you need a lot of gigabytes for old support packages and patches....

Best,

Benni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

in addition to the comments above, If you uninstall your full base installer, I think you will not be able to repair or modify your BI4 installtion anymore:

1803645 - BI 4.0 - How to modify or repair a BI install, patch or upgrade

1733837 - How do I install the new SAP drivers with the BI 4.0 SP04 upgrade patch?

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

of course I did not uninstall the basic installation! As you can see in the screenshots of the sap notes, there is one entry in software overview that called: "SAP BusinessObjects BI platform 4.0 ..." without any SP-number. I did not uninstall these basic entries of the software. Only the Service Packs and Patches that should be included in newer service packs.

Bset regards,

Benni

former_member249128
Active Participant
0 Kudos

That's the point. Your system is still working because you have base installation as SP02 and rest other SPs as patches. Consider a user who has SP04 Full Build has base installer and SP05 as patch on top of it.

If you remove SP04 in this case, your system is dead then.

Another point is that every Support Package requires a minimum patch level to be installed. For example, SP05 and SP06 requires you to have SP04. You cannot install SP05 or SP06 until you are on SP04. Additionally, not all libraries are changed/modified/updated/upgraded in support packages and patches. So, uninstalling previous SP may corrupt your system

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for the clarification. Fearing a corrupt installation I no longer uninstall old patch releases

Thank you,

Benni

former_member249128
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please note that you cannot install SP06 on SP02 directly.

The xorewct order would be

1. Install SP04 update patch.

2. Install SP06 update patch.

3. Install Patch 2 for SP06.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SP06

Install SP06 Patch 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

No need to uninstall the previous SP you do the following:

1st - Install SP06 (downloaded from Installations and Upgrades)

Cheers,

Fadoua