cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle Forecasting when modeling in BW?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

can you give me hints on how to handle forecasting during modeling?

Do you create a whole new Cube to load actual fugures and another for the forecasted figures? Or, there is another way. This pertains to HR environment. Any samples any where to read on?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Or you can insert into the same cube a new characteristic, kind of KF type and set different values for actual, plan, forecasted data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a very interesting approach and infact that is the line of thought I was considering but did not know of how to go about it.

Is there any sample anywhere to guide me?

How then do you decide in which dimension to add this characteristic you are suggesting?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of this approach, compared to the suggestion by BWer above?

Why will you go for one approach over the other.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Caud,

As an example you can look at 0CO_OM_CCA cube for cost center accounting. 'Value Type for Reporting' 0VTYPE infoobject is responsible for marking KF as plan, actual etc. In the data model of this cube you can see that there is a special dimension for this IO and the likes.

Here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/8d/1f383fe58d5900e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

you'll see some additional info about it.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks greatly, I will read the link and I believe it will help.

On the other hand, any comment on the second part of my question:

"What is the advantage or disadvantage of this approach, compared to the suggestion by BWer above?

Why will you go for one approach over the other."

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Caud,

A couple of things that came to my mind:

BWer approach advantage - if you have huge amount of data having several cubes may serve as a kind of physical partitioning - improved performance.

BWer approach disadvantage - need in multiprovider, more DB space because of redundant storage of characteristics in the similar cubes.

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to BPS. Trying to implement forecasting. Can u let me know how i should implement the forecast planning function when using a single cube scenario.

can u give me a small example to make it clearer or point me to an example link where they actually tell you how to implement the function.

I am having a lot of difficulty expressing the exact issue, but i'll still try explaining. How can i in the forecasting function use several data columns in the layout as reference data columns and copy the result of the forecast to new data columns in the same layout. I have defined each data column as a key figure in the cube.

I am really having a lot of problem. If u have some contact number please let me know so that i can call you from my office now.

Regards,

Really Desparate for Help.

Regards,

Salman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Salman,

I would suggest to you to do not post something in a thread alredy closed (blue star), because people think that the problem is already solved !

Open a new thread and post your question !

Good luck!

Bye,

Roberto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Depending on the characters yes, in our case we have created a new Cube, infobjects for Forecast data