cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force removal of duplicated records?

0 Kudos

How do you force the removal of duplicated records. What are the trick of the trades codes or formula that you use to remove these records. I have search all over the internet, but can't find that perfect solution. I tried to use the Previous() Statement, but it will not work correctly when its time to filter on it. The report is pulling in duplicated records, and I know what field is causing it, but I need that field for the report. So, how can force the one of the records to not show? Help please!

View Entire Topic
DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can create a group that would give you just one record and then put the data in a group header or footer instead of in the details to get rid of what looks like a duplicate.

-Dell

0 Kudos

Expand on that suggestion a little more, please. Just FYI I'm using : SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.2 Support Pack 5. Will what you are suggesting work the same way in this program?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The BI Platform is just a container, scheduler, and report management software. Based on your use of the "previous()" function, I'm assuming that you're writing the report in either "classic" Crystal Reports or Crystal for Enterprise.

You indicated that you know what field is causing the almost-duplicate records. Based on my own experience, I suspect that you are using a Details section to display your data, but you don't indicate the subject matter of the data, which would make this easier to explain. However, let's assume your report is showing a list of people and that the field that's causing the duplicate data is a phone number.

To keep duplicates from displaying, you would create a group on the person's name - probably last name first - plus the person id (because you may have more than one person with the same name...). So, you would create a formula that concatenates last name, first name, and ID number. Then you would create a group on that formula. Move the data from the details section to the group header. If you will only ever have 2 phone numbers, you would then suppress the details section and put the phone number field in both the group header (first record for the person) and the group footer (second record for the person). If there is a possibility for more than 2 phone numbers, you would have to put the phone numbers in the details section.

Does that make sense?

-Dell