cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decide between using Odata service or Soap web service

titanium
Participant

in my project I have seen ui5 applications consume SOAP web service and others REST Odata service ... what is the determination points? Isn't going with Odata service is the best practice?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

dhrubajyoti_rakshit2
Participant

Hi ghadeer,

In my Current Project there is a requirement where we need to store the session. If such is the scenario, then you cannot use OData and Odata is Stateless.

Apart from that you should see the benefits of using odata by checking its inbuild functionalities. Eg, it has got a metadata, you can use $select, $top etc, when you use metadata, you can use annotations and many other functionalities.

Another important point. The way SAP is going forward, they tend to give more stress on Odata. Once you bind ur table to Odata then you get many functions out of the box.
Again, you can use Smart controls which are tightly coupled with OData.
Last point - Suppose you decide to use Hana DB at a later point of time, then using CDS you can directly create OData service and can use them directly in your application.

So, think about the future vision of SAP and proceed accordingly and Future vision of SAP is OData.

-Regards
Dhrubajyoti

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd refrain from making blanket statements on "future vision of SAP". These services simply serve different purpose. If you go to api.sap.com you'll still find a fair share of SOAP services.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

I don't understand the question: you don't have the choice, you consume the web service the way it's exposed, whatever it's OData or SOAP (or other).

Or, if the question is what are drawbacks/advantages of creating a web service via OData versus SOAP, search the web (not specific to SAP).

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Agreed, lots of posts on this subject can be easily found in Google.

junwu
Active Contributor

some legacy system can only talk in soap language, then you have no choice.

p244500
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It should be Odata check best practice of ODATA but still you can use SOAP.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/web-services