cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a Message Interface for a BAPI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there are two ways to create a Message Interface for a BABI (at least I know these 2):

1) Import the corresponding RFC

2) Download the WSDL file for this BAPI from the R/3 Web Service Repository

The question is which way is to prefer and why?

Thanks and regards

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are importing it as a RFC may not require to create a Message interface for it and use it directly in the Message Mapping and Interface Mapping, however thru WSDL you require the creation of message interface to use it in Interface Mapping.

Thanks

SaNv...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

@Krish: But if you change a BAPI it's not a BAPI anymore, or?

@ SaNv: Yes you are right that is an advantage for doing it with import of the RFC

So the conclusion will be that RFC import is to prefer.

Regards

Patrick

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patric,

Yes, better to use it as RFC import.

I also doubt it may not be feasable to call the BAPI using the RFC adapter if in case you import is as a wsdl.

May be my above question as a answer to you may light up some thoughts for this use case.

Expect you to update if u were able to call the BAPI by importing it as a wsdl using RFC adapter.

Thanks

SaNv...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> I also doubt it may not be feasable to call the BAPI using the RFC adapter if in case you import is as a wsdl.

I don't know, but you can use it if you call the BAPI with the SOAP Adapter. Interesting would be to know if it's possible to use in this case an imported RFC?

And in which cases it's better to call a BAPI with RFC Adapter or to call it with SOAP Adapter.

Regards

Patrick

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>And in which cases it's better to call a BAPI with RFC Adapter or to call it with SOAP Adapter.

In case if there is a option I would prefer using RFC call which make life simple rather having SOAP a call which is a complex.

This blog By Jui-Chia Che may prove you that...

Thanks

SaNv...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

It depends upon your design.

SAP is moving towards eSOA and are exposing their ALE interfaces as webservices,if the design of interface in PI wants to leverage the eSOA concepts then import the RFC as WSDL and expose your scenario as a WSDL as well. if your design is not on eSOA principles then simple use RFC.

SOAP call is better compared to RFC in terms of performance and transportability

Thanx

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Oct 16, 2008 9:37 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

@SaNv: thanks for this blog, but it's about:

SAP -RFC -> PI -> SOAP -> Client

And my question is about:

SAP -RFC -> PI

or

SAP -SOAP -> PI

@ Aamir

So you would prefer SOAP? And in this case it's better to download the WSDL file or is it maybe possible to use the RFC import?

Regards

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

well it depends upon my design of interfaces.

I try to design my interfaces with maximum inter-operability and reuse,and SOA helps a lot in that.

If i have option to use either RFC or SOAP i would prefer SOAP.the reason being that SOAP standards are more industry established and are accepted by almost anyone(SAP and non-SAP),so my interfaces can be re-used for multiple systems/partners.secondly since you can use SOAP to post messages directly to Integration engine the performance is better compared to RFC.

Use WSDL file of RFC for SOAP

Thanx

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Oct 16, 2008 10:13 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SAP -RFC -> PI

or

SAP -SOAP -> PI

SOAP is preferred as this is most common industry standard and will allow more scalability to the developed Interface.

RFC do have drawback compared to SOAP and performance also differ in real time scenario. When you have a high volume of data you will get benefited using SOAP.

SOA is currently all technologies are focussing. I feel using SOAP will benefit your company in a longer run for this interface.

Thanks

Gaurav

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

If u import RFC , Then there is no need to create the Message Interface.

Do better use the import RFC.

Regard's

Sateesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

so if BAPIs are used together with PI the best way seems to be an import of the BAPI as RFC import and then the interface could be used without creating an Message Interface.

And the communication is better via the SOAP Adapter then RFC Adapter.

Thanks to all and regards

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

My assumption would be that if you need to use the BAPI without any modifications, you can just import the usual way as of IDOC.

The second technicque might be that you can modify accordingly just like u do the IDOC setting where u change the occurrences.

Regards

Krish