cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clone an SAP ECC using bacup tape on z/os?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to clone our production to a different SID using backup tape.

Are there blogs on this topic? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may want to carry out homogeneous system copy. You can check system copy guides for your environment at []. While system copy you can change the SID.

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jennifer,

I doubt very much that there are any blogs which describe how to perform a system copy with DB2 z/OS using a backup as the source. Our DBA has done this several times now after working on the procedure directly with IBM and getting some changes made to the "cloning tool" product (which I do not know if you own). I'd be glad to ask her for those procedures to send on to you if you're interested and if you own the "cloning tool" (which is part of the procedures). From my limited understanding, the "cloning tool" helps to change the SID by renaming all the datasets, etc.

Brian

marco_mica
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have also cloned an SAP ECC system as a test a couple of times from a backup tape. In our case we did also use the IBM db2 cloning tool (originally from Mainstar). I know that there is a version 2.2 of the tool that should be coming out just about now. I was attempting to run a scenario where we clone from a backup tape of a system copy taken on the production Sysplex to a set of disks on a non production image. I was eventually able to succesfully do this, however there were various hurdles to get around. I believe this should be easier with the new version. The tool allows you to rename the datasets used by the db2 subsystem, and also to make the corresponding changes inside the db2 database tables, the BSDS, etc. There is an IBM redbook about backup and cloning which describes most of the process. From personal experience, you will need to make some small changes to the procedure for adapting to your setup.

As Brian said, I doubt you could recover without some sort of equivalent tool. There is also an alternative tool called info#copy by a company called Infodesign. (I have not used this tool myself)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a video-tutorial explaining how to do it: http://mmedia.uv.es/index?f=_all&w=db2z%2Foscloning . I have automated the procedure using REXX that generates and submits JCLs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Late add to this thread. Fastest HSC is with hardware copy facilities. But you can use tape as well. See the DB2 cloning tool from ESAi/UBS called BCV4.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jennifer

Depending on the Storage Subsystems your company uses this can be done with some planning and teamwork from DB teams and Basis teams.

If you have access to the Rebooks on cloning they will help.

www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246287.html?Open Is the last location I have.