cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

How to assign users to multiple groups through one group?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have 3 UME groups: A,B and C.

I would like to create a master group 😧 Anyone who is assigned to group D will automatically be included in A,B and C.

Is it possible?

And another question on that matter: When will I use Child and Parent groups for a group?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

darren_hague
Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you can do this directly with Groups, but if you are assigning Roles to groups A, B and C then you can of course assign all of the roles from A, B and C to group D, which would achieve the same business aim. So long as you do all of your content & security in terms of Roles you should be OK.

Hope this helps,

Darren

<a href="http://www.fortybeans.com/">Read my blog</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darren,

Groups A,B, and C are assigned to roles and of course if I will assign to group D the same roles than I'm done but What I want to achieve is different: That the users will be added to groups A,B and C when I add them to group D.

I don't know if it's possible and it's not a major issue for me, it's just something that crossed my mind.

Anyone has an idea if it's possible?

And to repeat my other question: When will I want to assign parent and child groups to a certain group?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

It is possible. If you create groups A, B, C and D, you can then add group D as a child group for groups A, B, and C. If you add a user to group D, the user is automatically part of group A, B and C.

You want to add child groups to a group to create a hierarchy of groups. This can be useful if a company has multiple departments, and subdepartments. If you create a hierarchy, you can display specific information in the portal (subdepartment group), less specific content (department) and general content (everyone).

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Johan, it is working alright.

One logical thing that I don't understand here though: I would expect that Group D will the parent group of groups A,B and C and not a child group in each one of them since, in my case, D can be look at as a department and A,B and C it's sub departments...

Can you please explain mwe what I am missing here?

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will it be true to say that if A is a child group of B, any user in A will definitely be at B but not any user from B will definitely be at A?

In that case, I think it's just a matter of semantics...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roy,

That's right, (if A is a child group of B, any user in A will definitely be at B but not any user from B will definitely be at A).

Your example is not right though. You cannot see D as a department and A,B and C as subdepartments if D is a child group of A, B and C. Because if you would add someone to D (department) he would automatically be in each subdepartment.

If you look at department hierarchies, I think each group normally has only one parent group, but can have multiple child groups.

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Johan,

You're right although I tend not to agree with the last statement of yours:

"each group normally has only one parent group, but can have multiple child groups."

If we take D for example, no matter whether it is a department or sub department, the minute you added it as child group of A,B and C it has multiple parent groups...

So, I think it is a bi-directional relationship.

Roy