cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign permissions to groups

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When we assing permission to a user for a user we have to give him permission manually. But if we have 10 users then it is time taking. I would like to know is it possible to create a group and if we assign the permission to the group then all the users in the group get the permission access.

Can anyone help me.

Thnx in advance

cheers

murali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Are you confused on how to assign permisiions to groups?

To launch the central Permission Editor:

1. Choose System Administration->Permissions.

2. Locate the folder or object you want to assign or edit permissions for, right-click it and choose Open -> Permissions from the context menu.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

For assigning permissions you will have to attach the group u have created to a role and then assign permissions to that role. This is because u can assign permissions to the following objects only:

·Business objects and operations

·Folders and portal objects, such as iViews, portal pages, layouts, roles, worksets, packages and systems.

·Resource bundles

·Security zones and safely levels used to authorize direct URL access to portal components and services

·Portal components

You use the Permission Editor to assign user, group and role permissions to portal objects.

For more info on how to assign permissions this

link will help you.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thnx for your info. I have created a group. But I'm unable to assing users to that group. Can you help me plz.

Thnx in advance.

Regards,

Murali

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

1. navigate to UserAdministration -> Groups

2. search for the name of your group

3. mark your group in the text area

4. click on the central button below the text area

5. Press the '+'-Sign to search for your users

6. assign them

7. enjoy

If you have problems to do so, please be more precise. What is your problem?

P.S.: consider rewarding points for helpful answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have created the group and I have assigned the users to the group also. Now what to do. Do I have to assign any role to the user? Where can I give the permissions? I'm confused with the link what you sent in that it is given that Assign New Permission Area search for the user, role or group. Where is the area? Can you please explain?

Thnx.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

This can have various reasons. It depends on how your user landscape has been set up.

The portal can use users & groups from it's own database or an external database ex. microsoft Active Directory

Please check this in you ume settings.

It can be that you have created an group in your SAP ldap but that your system is configured to only use the external system.

How is your ume landscape?

Greetz

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

your intention was, to sum up users to groups so that you do not have to deal with numerous entitys that all should have the same permissions.

So you grouped some users (added users to a group). Fine. What next? It depends! What do you want to do? In the portal there are a lot of areas and locations where you have to choose some users or groups. But now, you realy can choose! Now, you can use the group instead of a single user.

Some areas where to use users and groups:

1. Permissions in KM Repositories

2. Permissions for portalapps

3. Permissions for iViews

4. Assignment to roles

5. Permissions for Systems

6. Assignment to Systems

7. Assignment to Collaboration Rooms

8. ...

9. etc...

What exactly do you want to do?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you can,

Depending on your ume landscape you can make a group in the portal or you can make a group in the ldap you are using for the portal. Just type the groupname instead of a username in the permissionfield and it should work.

You can also search for groups.

Regards,

Frederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Certainly you can give permissions to groups. It is the reason why groups concept was framed. You can assign all the users to the particular group initially. Then the procedure for giving permissions is similar to the way, you give it for users.

For more information see this

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/5b/0fab1b76984ed0944d5c732cfad1b2/frameset.htm

Regards,

Ganesh N