Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should a BI 4.x environment be restarted

former_member244450
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Could you plz help me understand how often should a BI 4.x environment be restarted and based on what factors?

Is it good to restart daily, once a week..??

We are seeing some issues with scheduling jobs going into running state and getting hung. So I am trying to find a frequency of how often should I keep restarting my environment to ensure they jobs run fine.  Please help!!

Environment details:

BI Version: 4.1 SP5

Windows 2012 R2

Thanks,

satya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

You Really need this :

This will help you to maintain the server. Not only restart but with all the important stuff.

regards,

Mahak

former_member187093
Participant
0 Kudos

we got BO running in windows and unix. we restart our windows servers weekly and unix servers monthly. it helps a lot... it's a good maintenance..

former_member244450
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,  my question is on frequency of restarting the BOBJ services. We have the ongoing issue , could you check this discussion posted by me and let me know if you have any workaround. Please help!!  http://scn.sap.com/thread/3906965

former_member187093
Participant
0 Kudos

sure, let me check...

omacoder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Satya, we've found that rebooting our servers weekly helps prevent a lot of unnecessary headache later in the week.

former_member244450
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Brian, this is regarding services restart(SIA) and not the server reboots. We have some issue with job schedules as per this post :http://scn.sap.com/thread/3906965.  Please help if you have any workaround other than restarting services every week or during the issue.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Typically you don't need to recycle the servers. Looks like there is some issue in your servers configuration or sizing. First take a look at that issue what is causing it. Check the logs.

former_member244450
Participant
0 Kudos

Servers when you mean...VM machines where BI platform is installed  or the services configured on the nodes.

Well my question is on how often the services configured on the nodes should be restarted?

Most of the cases with scheduling are resolved by service restarts. None of the services configured are corrupted coz I see this issue of scheduling jobs getting into running state and then hung once a week. As soon as restart the whole SIA, the jobs then run fine.

Plz do let me know if you have any work around for the scheduling jobs issue other than service restarts.

Just some more details:

1. Memory utilization is under control as we pull the utilization report , we are at 32gb per server.

2. Enough cpu and usage is under control.

3. 450 - 500 scheduling jobs trigger every day. Most of them are crystal reports 2013.

4. User base is 2000.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Servers means- Yes where BO installed.

As I mentioned earlier, you should look at the issue first. Restarting the servers address the issue is not permanent solution.

We restart the BO servers while taking the cold back up of CMS DB. Once  a week or so. We take hot backup daily, during that time there is no restart required.

former_member244450
Participant
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3906965 --Here is the link where I created a discussion for my ongoing issue:

So for the above issue, am planning to implement service restarts-SIA twice a week(Not SERVER RESTARTS).  Please see the link and let me know if you have any pointers.

Any help would be great, thank you.