cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW MANY BSP APPLICATIONS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I'm starting to develop stateful web applications and I have I doubt: how many BSP applications I need to create?

I mean, if I want to create a menu with several diferent items, shall I create only one BSP application to stored mime objects, pages with flow logic and page fragments or is better if I create diferent BSP applications?

I'm talking about 100 or more pages (flow logic and fragments), css style sheets, xml documents, icons, images and more.

Which are de advantages and disavantages to use only one BSP application or several more.

Thanks so much in advanced.

Best regards,

Susana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_koch9
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Seshen,

i made it as follows:

same business topic -> one BSP Application

For me it is more a logical differenciation.

In my opinion there are no technical restriction, that cou can e.g. have only 99 site per application.

But otherwise it is now problem to copy Sites from one application to another.

So i would suggest start with one, if you have another business topic create the next one...

if you see for yourself have more disadvanteges with this approach copy them to one application - but i will promise you you want.

Hope your question is nearly answered.

Regards Marcus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

One technical issue to consider when deciding how to break up your applications is how to share memory between appliations.

If you applications are going to be stateful and/or MVC and you have a large amount of data stored in the application class or a model; this is obviously easier to share between pages that are all one application. As you navigate all pages will have the same "global memory" in the form of the application class instance in order to easily share information.

If you really want to build such a large application (about 100 or more pages!) you really must look at using Model View Controller. Avoid page fragments and use generic controllers/views or composite BSP Extensions instead! Technically this is handled better by the runtime and you have much better managability over time.

I inherited an application of this size that was developed as flow Logic and fragments. It was difficult to maintain and debug. Just the fact that you can't set a break point inside a page fragment drove me nuts! The first thing I did was rewrite the applciation as MVC. I went from Page with OnInputProcessing sections with thousands of lines of code to a much simplier OO model. I now can navigate directly to the event handler I need because each one is its own method.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshan,

ONLY ONE Bsp Application serves your purpose .

You can create any number of pages,MIMES nad page fragments in a Single Application .You can pack pages in folders too.

For all the BSP Application's a Node will be automatically created in SICF tree.If u use more than one application u hav to concern about the login settings for all the Applications.

Rgds,

J

If ur problem has been solved ,pl close the thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you answer Jothi,

but I think that is not enough. I mean, I need a technical explanation if it is posible because I need to defend or to argue why is better only one. We are developing now one application but in a few months we are going to do 4 or 5 more, with different contens than the first one.

I have been looking for some documentation about it but I only found examples and general information about BSP applications (SBSPTEXT_BSP, SBSPTEXT_HTMLB,...).

Best regards,

Susana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susana,

It depends on the purpose .Cud u do all the HR reports in a Single program or go for Appln specific pgms ?

Say ,one of ur BSP Appln may need Anonymous Login.

Other BSP Appln may need to be configured with SSO.

How u pack both the Applns ?

If Your BSP Appln's Login has been hotcoded in SICF .Whtever pages u access in that application will not prompt for user id and password .

If u need your BSP Application to Authnticate ,u must hav to go for other Appln.

Hope u will understand .

All Te best.

Rgds,

J