cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I monitor the number of logged on users in EP6.0 SP11?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

We are on SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0 SP11.

I want to know the procedure by way of which I can monitor the number of logged on users in the Portal. Again, the logged on users can mean two things:

1) Number of unique users at any given time

2) Number of user sessions at any given time

Now, here are certain things I know:

1) EP6.0 SP2 had the Logged On Users iView. It's taken out in SP11 though.

2) The Portal Activity Report can be used for this purpose in SP11. However, we don't have any plans to implement that right now.

3) The Visual Admin can be used to monitor the user sessions and I am fine with that. However, my requirement is to collect user-load metrics every hour and I cannot really afford to monitor the Visual Admin that frequently.

4) If I use the J2EE Telnet Admin, I can come to know the number of user sessions.

As is apparent, I have no trouble getting the total number of user sessions. So, I guess the real question is - Is there any way by which I can know the number of unique users that are logged on to the Portal at any given time?

Kindly let me know if there is a way for that (other than maybe the Portal Activity Report), and I promise to reward generously

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Sagar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello sreedhar Gunda ,

good idea, but I can only see myself as an activ user

in that list. What is wrong ??

Wolfgang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm able to see the users those who logged in , You have to refresh or log off and log in again u can see the list of users ...

Try to log off and log in u will get it

Sreedhar G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. Your suggestions are pretty good. But, as I indicated, I want a simple alternative to monitor the number of unique users, apart from the Portal Activity Report. So I am going to keep this post open.

Sreedhar -

Thanks for your suggestion too. But I am not a developer and won't be able to make use of it.

Thanks and Regards,

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

Login to Portal as Administrator

<b>Select System Administration -> Support -> WebDynpro Test Tools(which is on Left side) -> User Management</b>

Scroll it down to end you can find <b>Currently active users List</b>

It will resolve u r issue..

Plz asign points to my answer

Regards

Sreedhar G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sagar,

You have to write an application in that u have to use the follwing code

<i>Step 1:</i>

import the Files like

<b>import com.sap.security.api.IUser;</b>

<b>IPortalComponentRequest request = IPortalComponentRequest)this.getRequest();

IUser usrSO =request.getUser();

strSOID = usrSO.getUniqueName();</b>

<i>Step 2:</i>

Create a table at DB with the fields like userid Time and required filelds...

<i>Step 3 :</i>

Deploy your application and create a iview from PAR

then create a invisible iview or attach the iview at the end of the page and attach this in every user role

when the user logged in auto matically his ID will stored in the DB..

Try to attch this iview in visible mode into System Admin role ..see the Number of users logged in

But u have to write a efficient application for this

Don't forget to award points ....

Sreedhar G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

simply open visual admin,open on your servernode --services,click on Performance Tracing,click on JARM and choose what you want to see.

regards

wolfgang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Roth,

We have disabled performance tracing in our system. So we are really not using JARM.

But all the same, does JARM give me what I asked for? I think not.

Regards,

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would encourage you to think about using the Portal Activity Report. It is very simple to setup and provides exactly what you need. You could develop a custom application to do what you want if using the PAR is unacceptable, but that will be much more work than using the PAR. As of SP 15 the PAR will be installed and automatically turned on.