cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hostname change on R/3 hosts running SAP DB or MaxDB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, We are planning to move our 4.6C systems (running SAP DB and MaxDB) onto different servers, and as part of the move the hostnames will be changed. The OS levels will remain the same so we plan to do a backup and restore rather than a clean install followed by a system copy.

I have found SAP note 8307 which details the procedure for doing a hostname change on an R/3 host server. The note mentions Oracle adaptations required but does not mention anything about SAP DB or MaxDB… does this SAP DB/MaxDB are unaffected by a hostname change?

My worry is that note 8307 at the beginning says it cannot guarantee the completeness of the note, and that a DB reconfiguration might be necessary…. What do they mean by DB reconfiguration in this context???

Has anyone done a hostname change using SAP DB and/or MaxDB… and what things do I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance.

S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have new servers you will need to INSTALL SAP though, using a backup of the source system (including registry) won't work.

How do you want to rebuild the new target systems without installing? If you will restore the registry of the other system, it may or may not work, depending on where in your registry the hostname is stored (depending on the applications aside from SAP).

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I should have mentioned we are using Unix boxes (Solaris).

In the past, I have successully managed to do a hostname change of 4.6C R/3 systems running against Oracle on Unix servers without having to do a Homogeneous System Copy, so it must be possible also with SAPDB/MaxDB???

As the moment we have restored the SAP software and the SAP DB database, the x_server is started, however when we try to start the SAPDB database manualy via dbmcli> db_start we get the error..

ERR

-24994,ERR_RTE: runtime environment error

1,Kernel died before reaching COLD state

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sharon

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh yes and when we do a db_status we get...

dbmcli on D10>db_state

OK

State

STOPPED INCORRECTLY

Regards

S

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check knldiag - it will tell you what's wrong.

--

Markus

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sharon,

-> What is the version of the database?

-> "As the moment we have restored the SAP software and the SAP DB database"

Could you be more specific?

-> Please update with output of the following commands from the database server:

sdbregview -l

xinstinfo D10

dbmcli inst_enum

dbmcli db_enum

dbmcli -d D10 -u control,<control>

dbmcli on D10>db_clear

dbmcli on D10>db_state

dbmcli on D10>db_online

….

Post knldiag file & dbm.prt errors.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in updating this message… I’ve been off work.

Ok, I manage to complete the hostname change and get the 4.6C SAP System up and running, (the problems I was having were to do with O/S kernel parameters and the MaxDB vserver process not running!!)

I have now trashed the server and want to repeat the system copy but this time using the method everyone (including SAP) keeps telling me I should be using even for a hostname change ie via Homogenous System Copy.

This will be my first attempt at doing a Homogeneous System copy, so after reading the guide I still have a couple of questions.

I know that since the source 4.6C system was installed a few years back, we have applied Support Packs, Plug-ins, individual OSS note fixes, as well as carried out kernel and database upgrades to the system. So the thing I am ensure of after having read the guide is which of the steps below I will still need to perform on the target server after completing the standard installation on it using the exported data from the source system:

i.e.

1. Apply Support Packs to the same level as the source system.

2. Apply any OSS note fixes that were applied to the source system

3. Install Plug-ins that were installed in the source system

4. Upgrade the kernel to the same level as the source system

5. Upgrade the database to the same level as the source system.

I am pretty certain 4 & 5 will need doing because the SAP kernel and the database on the Install CD’s are earlier versions…. but 1, 2 and 3 I’m not sure about it?... those of you who have plenty of experience of doing homogenous copies please advise.

Thanks

Sharon

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - you don´t need to apply support packages.

You need the following:

- a backup of the source system in form of either an offline database backup or a "backup" using R3load as export

- install the target systems central instance

- patch the central instance kernel to the latest one (not necessarily the same as the source system)

- depending on if you have a backup or an export start either restore or the installation using the R3load export

Since all the abap coding is contained in the database there´s no necessity to apply support packs. You just should make sure, if you use the backup/restore method, that the database build of the target system is at least the build version of the source system.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You dont need to apply support packages.

To say it simple you are just changing ur sap system into another box

and changing the system id.

So its better to do it from a backup(offline).

We can do system copy manually rather than using R3load,but it is somewhat complex.

Regards,

Ramarao.A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to make it clear what we are trying to do.

We are moving are SAP systems to newer servers, and as part of the move the hostnames will be changed... however we are not changing the SAP SIDs. The simple rapporach of course is to simply restore from backup. But as has been pointed out the cleaner approach is to do a Homogenous System Copy even tough there is more work involved.

OK I understand now that there is no need to reapply Support Packs, Plug-Ins etc, and as fpr the kernel, simply apply the latest kernel. However, the Install DVDs come with SAP DB, which on the source system we upgraded to MaxDB 7.5. So I presume as part of the "Subsequent Actions Required in the Target System" we will need to upgrade the database on the target system?

S

Answers (0)