cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding Characteristic values dynamically in BW query

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

We have a peculiar requirement regarding BW queries.

We need to suppress certain characteristics and key figures based on user access levels. The output still needs to be displayed but, some confidential data needs to be blanked out if the user does not have the corresponding access (we are even fine hiding the corresponding columns). Since we are on BI 7.0 version, we tried to use the Analysis Authorization... but, the number of characteristics that need this feature is large and would cause a maintenance nightmare for the security team.

We also explored using CMOD customer exit EXIT_SAPLRRS0_001 via query variables. The user exit seems to filter all the rows of the output instead of blanking out the characteristic values.

We had a quick look at the BAdI RSR_OLAP_BADI (Virtual Characteristics and key figures) and this seems to make it very complicated.

Any ideas on achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

Chandu.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can try Colon Authorization for Characteristics. But this is like you either can see the Characteristic or not. For keyfigures, 0TCAKYFNM can be used.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/31/4af438cd2b7058e10000000a11402f/content.htm

There is no provision to hide out only few values, entire row will not be visible to the user without that value access.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Parth,

Thanks for the response.

My requirement is to blank out (or hide) the entire column... user should still be able to see rest of the report. We do not want to filter rows based on values (this is what the user exit does).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

As per my understanding,if users are accessing report through portal then create two different queries.

One with all characteristics & KFs. and other with hiding chars andKFs.

and assign them to two different workset on portal and give users to anyof the workset as required.

Other than this, Analysis authorization or Virtual characteristics will also solve your problem, but it is very costly as a maintanance prospective.

Regards,

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Ashish.

Creating two queries may not help in this case. We have many characteristics and different levels of confidentiality. As a result, the permutations will require creation of many queries.... which is not very practical.

Analysis Authorizations: As I mentioned in the original post, due to the large number of characteristics, this will make it very difficult to maintain.

Virtual Characteristics: I am not very familiar with this. Do you have any links to detailed documentation?

Do you know of any user exits or BAdIs that are invoked before displaying the query... that can be used to manipulate data or columns. Then I can add some code to perform confidentialy check and suppress columns or blank out data.

Thanks,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use same BADI 'RSR_OLAP_BADI' for your purpose.

Below are the links related to how to use this BADI.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60e34f63-f44c-2c10-488e-c89b04e0c...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90b2babc-15ad-2d10-c4b2-bd3af67d8...

Please let me know if you have some issue while using this BADI.

Thanks,

Ashish

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this ;----

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suman,

Thanks for your resposne. In my case, the the values are not zeros. There is data but, due to the confidentiality if a user is permitted to see the data, we have to show... otherwise suppress.