cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having variations of same business process, How to model?

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

Customer has several variations of the same business process. How to model them in Solution manager's project implementation tools? I actually created this same question in 'Business process expert' forum, so please read the whole story there and earn your points there.

Best regards,

Kimmo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does the new functionality in SP12 apply here, where you can see what project something came from instead of just that it came for a project? This is also a problem at 2 of my clients, where they have many variations of standard processes. You can also adopt a naming convention so all variations have a suffix and are always copied from the first one in the list, identified as STD.

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kimmo,

I wouldn't use process steps to refine processes. This is incompatible to SAP implementation content coming from BPR (Business Process Repository). But a good idea would be to copy the main business process e.g. "Sales order processing" into two new processes on the same level, e.g. "Sales order processing by manual input" (variation1) or "Sales order processing by incoming interface" (variation2). Then you can use the Compare Button on the variations to see if any changes have been on the main business process and copy them to the variations. This minimizes the effort to keep track of changes after creating the variations. When you run transaction SA_PROJECT_UPGRADE on that project these changes even get flagged. Mostly this function is used to upgrade against BPR or a template project but it works also for copies inside a project e.g. to model variations.

Regards

Andreas

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Andreas! Useful hint! I'd like to give you maximum points but I am not able to give them in here. I think I did not marked this thread as question because I adviced people to answer the question in the original place in 'business process'-forum.

If want your points, please make a new reply in the original place in process'-forum by entering just a shortcut to you answer in the solution manager forum. I can do this too, but then you don't get rewarded.

best regards,

Kimmo

former_member372140
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

having copied a Business Process (by copy or reference) I am struggling with two important questions:

1. Working with a copied Business Process: Where is the original one ? There is neither a Where-used function nor a attribute-icon (with a Tab for references) for structure nodes available !

2. Which object is the original one ?

Only if the original is out of the BPR the SOURCE-parameter indicates thru 'BPR' or 'Project' the source-object. If I am creating new processes without reference to the BPR I have no idea how to determine which one the original-process is, since both has the source 'project'.

Any comments are highly welcome.

Erik

former_member190969
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erik,

you are right. I think an option to navigate from the copied node to the originial node would solve your problem, right?

I'll keep this in mind.

Regards

Andreas

former_member372140
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

thanks your the very quick response. I am impressed !

Yes, an option to navigate from the copied node to the originial node would solve my problem.

My spontaneous idea for that: An icon which indicates 'yes I am a copy' and 'klick me to go to the original node'.

The opposite direction 'show me all copies' will be useful, too

Regards

Erik